Would you rather fight a boxer or thai fighter?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Saved_in_Blood, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Obviously both are combat sports, both are dangerous, but let's assume that you are at your gym and you have a boxer or thai fighter in front of you both with let's say 2 years of experience. Let's just say skillwise they are equal to their respected arts. Which one do you get into the ring with and why?

I would say the boxer simply because the thai fighter has more weapons at his disposal ... I mean let's face it, an elbow or knee to the face, the leg kicks etc, hurt.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I would rather fight a boxer. I know how to deal with hands to a degree, and I know how to get in close for a few moments without taking damage. I also know how to get a sloppy but efficient takedown in, so the advantage is mine. Add in kicking and my success rate would be minimized :p

3. Saved_in_Blood

Ok, well based off the fact that you have experience in boxing that's good feedback.

4. DekuTurk

DekuTurk Valued Member

I rather fight the muay Thai boxer. For more reasons. If he is more dangerous because of his wider arsenal, I gladly fight him, because there is to me no satisfaction winning from a easier opponent. Plus since I don't practice muay Thai I can learn a bit more bout MA then fighting the boxer. Even tho I think boxers in general are faster, and so maybe harder to fight close ranged. But I guess this thread is a indirect question to which MA we think is better, I think boxers. But I can be wrong as I have never experienced fighting Thai boxers.

5. Ero-Sennin

I also have the experience in going for a takedown only to get kneed in the face. One of my two forward most teeth is higher than the other as a result. My takedown skills are drastically decreased when kicks are thrown into the equation. :p

When I was fighting with that 250lb gorilla of a man, there were a few points I was wrapped up where I desperately wanted to go in for a double leg takedown, lol.

6. Saved_in_Blood

Was the guy a BJJ MAist or just caught you with a knee?

7. Ero-Sennin

This was when I was doing MMA at 19-20 yrs. of age. The guy was certainly better at BJJ then me, but I believe I was being used as meat to help him get ready for an amateur fight. It was quite some time ago, I'm a little foggy on the context. I just happened to shoot in while he was throwing knee out. It was one of those situations where the instructor stopped us immediately, asked if I was ok (I said yes), then made me stop, lol.

8. Ero-Sennin

You're young aren't you? :p

The older I get, the less I think like that. If I can beat somebody down with minimal effort, all the better. It means my ass isn't getting hurt.

9. Saved_in_Blood

See, you get older and then you realize why people would say "young and stupid" lol.

10. Ninja_Lee

Ninja_Lee Valued Member

depends on the rules of the fight!

11. Ero-Sennin

Weapons match, with bo staffs. Twerking is allowed for distraction. I look forward to reading your tactical approach. :D

12. Saved_in_Blood

well, this is all things equal in that the boxer fights using his hands and the MT fighter uses the 8 limbs lol.

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'll take the Thai guy.... And smash him into the ground.

14. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Assuming you're getting in the ring and fighting them using their martial art's rules then the Boxer would be easier to deal with simply because of the limitation of their skillset. Would (and have) fight either though.

15. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

Both would give me concussions.

MT fighter would give me cuts via elbows, ache in my legs via low kicks and pain in my body via knees too.

Guess I would choose boxer as my opponent.

But if it means that against boxer, I would do a boxing fight and against MT fighter, I would do a muay thai fight, I dont know. I would be curious to try the latter, and I do enjoy kicking although I suck at it. But then again, my hands are even worse.

If it would be an MMA / no rules fight, perhaps a boxer. Thai boxer could pay my takedown attempt with an well timed knee.

16. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I would take the boxer as he most likely would not be used to some of my tool set and would be well versed in only one set range.

As said it depends on the rules of engagement if it is a match and the calibre of the fighter.

Both are two of my favourite arts so would spar both through!

17. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

http://youtu.be/wngsO-Z4n7A

18. Ero-Sennin

I clicked this with a smile, excitement building. Then I saw the title and realized I had already seen this. I continued to watch, but I made sure I had my Crisco.

(this is a horrible prank!)

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I would go with the Boxer and box with him and her.
    I like the punchy.

20. Saved_in_Blood

lol!