Amurica, Hell Yeah!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by pseudo, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

If we have anything awesome you just claim it for Less Britain don't you?

/me spits

2. Ero-Sennin

We have quite a few people like this here. Take this as you will.

Attached Files:

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

This I refuse to believe without some form of evidence, damn it! Sounds too hilarious to be true.

Lol :D

To be fair, we're not that much better in some places. We just do a better job of hiding just how dumb some of our native folk are. :whistle:

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

We hide it? You haven't been on Facebook lately? :D

5. LemonSloth

I just assume everyone on Facebook is American so I can live with myself :D

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

7. Ero-Sennin

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

American, what can I say?

9. Ero-Sennin

Yeah. Too bad you guys are adopting some of out crony capitalist methods. I hear Thatcher is beloved over there.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Capitalism started in England (and other European countries) in the 1500s.

Stealing our stuff and claiming it as your own, eh?

Bit like that piece of our land you're claiming squatting rights on... all 3 million square miles of it :evil:

11. Ero-Sennin

I walked into that one, lol.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

What are you going to do in each country that benefits you most?
    Job? Life?

13. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

In Amurica, nothing planned as of yet, just one of those "hey son, you should apply for you american passport" situations, which got me thinking... hmmm, do I want it?

This all sprung up after my cousin got her passport recently, very easily I might add.

14. LemonSloth

15. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

(EDIT - I am presuming you have Canadian citizenship and are looking at the possibility of adding US citizenship)

Dual citizenship is a good thing - able to travel on either passport and use the easier-of-the-two countries' requirements for entering other countries as a tourist. It also would allow you to work in either country without going though a work-visa process (which can be a pain).

As far as taxes go, I presume you are discussing income taxes. If you live in a foreign country and earn income, it has to be declared. However, if you are a full time resident of that country, you can deduct up to like $100,000. (see http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion). I did this for four years while living in Korea... not a big deal.

Anyway, if given the chance, I would take dual citizenship. Then again, we don't want just any riff-raff coming into the States. :)

EDIT - by the way, what's with spelling America with a 'u'? I thought it was a typo at first, but you have done a couple of times.... I don't get it?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  16. Ero-Sennin

I noticed that too. I tend to spell it 'Merikuh, mostly because of popular internet culture but when I'm making a serious post I tend to spell it right. I wonder if Pseudo just don't know how to spell America. :confused:

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Clearly you have all forgotten about Bryan Adams. Ask yourself "do I really want that again"?

18. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Seems legit to me. :p

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Amurica

It's a semi serious thread, I knew any thread that Ero was likely to post in was going to go off track relatively quickly so I figure I'd give my blessing from the get go. The subject was kind of a passing thought as well, the opportunity was presented to me, it was something I hadn't really considered and I was curious what others would do given the opportunity to get dual citizenship. I wasn't expecting any deep complex conversation to come from this thread.

I do appreciate the feedback.

19. Ero-Sennin

Hey now! I waited until I gave a serious post and other posts provided constructive feedback!

20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Which countries would rather have Americans than Canadians? Is it easier to get into any country with a US passport?

I think unless you would benefit in terms of finance or residency, you might as well wait until you find a need for one.

There isn't any time limit or rush to get one, is there?

The only thing I know from experience is about trading in the US: depending on the tax treaty between the US and your country, you can be taxed a lot less if you're a US citizen (30% for foreigners without a relevant tax treaty, IIRC).