Full Contact insurance

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Remi Lessore, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Remi Lessore

Remi Lessore Valued Member

For the first 2 years FEKM Krav Maga training is light contact.
    But for the green belt and above (blue, brown, black), students below the age of 40 have to fight full contact 2 x 2 minutes. No winner announced but this is a test of courage, composure and respect.
    This would be no more frequent than once per year.

Our regular insurance only provides for light contact, and assumes that injury by excessive force is accidental.
    Full contact is assumed to be reserved for events and is not insured. They say that even white-collar boxing is uninsured. Is this true?

So I am looking for personal injury insurance for those events for my students. I have found companies that insure boxers, but the cost is prohibitive and assumes frequent competitive or heavy contact sparring.
    Are there MMA clubs out there (MMA is the closest thing that I can see to our grading bouts) that carry insurance for training and for hosting events where full contact is practiced?

Does anyone know of injury insurance for very occasional deliberate full contact or an insurance company that might discuss it?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

When you say mandatory full contact, do you mean two people are allowed to KO each other? 0.o

3. Remi Lessore

Yes.
    It rarely happens. But it might.

4. Remi Lessore

for those wondering what I mean,
    Youtube search
    FEKM combat dur

It's not as harsh as K1 or MT or cage fighting but it's still quite serious.

5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

It looks like regular hard sparring at a good level of contact (in the video I watched anyway), the types of which you find in the other arts you mentioned.

Sparring is never as harsh as full contact competition... or at least it shouldn't be!

6. Remi Lessore

OK. Sorry I did not mean official 'full contact' rules, but hitting as hard as you can under the circumstances - i.e. not holding back.
    There are other rules - if you see that your partner is dazed, he gets a checkover from the ref. hard contact resumes if and when he is ready.
    Knees strikes to the head are light, forward elbows and headbutting is simulated. The ref will intervene to make sure that the receiving partner acknowledges what might have been a very heavy blow.
    But kicking and punching is as hard as you can until someone starts to get hurt.
    Given that we are mostly not sports competitors (except for the ones that are and might hit as hard as boxers do), do you know what kind of insurance would insure against personal injury?

7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I just meant it looks as good contact wise as the sparring done in mma, thai boxing etc... not trying to pull you up on your definitions so much.

no idea regarding insurance sorry... I dont even know what the situation is where I train. There is a massive disclaimer sign saying any injury is your own responsibility though ha!

8. Remi Lessore

Cheers.

It does seem we can't insure our students for these gradings in England. Unless someone knows differently.
    I would have thought this sort of thing would be more common.
    What about kyokoshin? I thought they hammered each other.

9. Pretty In Pink

Can you not get MMA insurance?

10. Remi Lessore

Do they insure you against injury when training full contact or competing.
    My regular insurer seemed to think not.
    If they do, who are they?

11. Pretty In Pink

They must do, as it's a full contact sport.

12. Remi Lessore

Well that was my assumption until I was told otherwise, this morning.
    May I ask who you use?

13. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

My old MAGB and my current BCA insurance provides for full contact in training.

14. Remi Lessore

THANKS!
    I'll look at them.