just posting a video and introduction

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MAfreak, Feb 4, 2016.

1. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

John is offering some constructive criticism since none was forthcoming from the other posters. Why a video of some poorly executed martial movements has turned into 4 pages of insults is beyond me.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

A collection of fixable flaws is pretty much the definition of constructive criticism.

And the thread has devolved because the OP responded so poorly to the initial criticism of his technique

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Show where insults have been made

Go on.....we can wait

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Stop being so insulting.

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Welcome to the forum. Not going to comment on the video. Hope you stick around MAfreak :)

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Guys, leave the "he made an insult" posts alone.

Comment on welcoming a new member and the video he posted.

I won't ask a third time.

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Cannot possibly overstate how right this statement is or how important it is to take on board. If I used real weapons in practice I would have cut my own knees off years ago.

In my opionon weapons practice falls under the category of play for most people. Even those with a competent instructor learning actual effective technique. This is because most people have no intention of ever using a weapon themselves in combat or of facing someone with a weapon. I would put myself very much in this category. When I pick up a weapon I do not wield it with the mental and physical intensity that comes with the intent of actually sticking it in the other guy while he is trying to stick me. I know that I am playing and not practicing how to fight. I am ok with that.

If an individual thinks they can use a weapon for real but has only ever used it in play, then producing a weapon in a fight is a much a danger to that person as it is to their opponent.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

This is terrible, also did you mat a room with mattresses fitted with white sheets?

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

When you wave the nun-chucks around I find it's better cupping your balls than your cheek. Although thinking of it, bum cheek might actually be best of all.

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Well done for posting a clip more than allot have done, however take peoples suggestions and take some lessons, both your striking and ground work was way to loose and screamed self taught.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

To be fair I've seen some reverse turning kicks from people taught by actual teachers worse than the one this chap throws.
    And the older I get the more my reverse turning kick starts to resemble those kicks too. :(

12. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Welcome to MAP.

You can kick higher than I can, I'll give you that. Mind you, I'm not a kicking kind of guy.

Get some proper weapons training if you can. It will make a world of difference. You're just wasting your time otherwise. You can't just take karate stances, add a weapon and "call it good". Sometimes the body vs. weapon timing when cutting is very different than what an exclusively unarmed MA practitioner is used to. For example, when teaching "True Time" to my students, those who have extensive unarmed experience find it very unintuitive, though they adapt quickly if they were well-trained to begin with.

13. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Well that's just a defeatist attitude! :D

14. MAfreak

MAfreak Valued Member

some training clips; sports & self-defense/weapons

hello,
    i cut a short video of some techniques from modern as well as traditional martial arts, because i love them all. :D
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAiRpvSG5V4"]Martial Arts Training (2/2) - YouTube[/ame]
    regards!

15. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm genuinely curious if you thought the reaction to this video would be any different than the previous one you've posted.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I can just reprint from earlier -

Your willingness to put yourself on film is a good thing; so is your enthusiasm

Your refusal to take onboard criticism is worrying, but even more so is the blatant lack of skill that you are trying to pretend is somehow able to allow you to hold your own.

This majority of this is self taught crap - end of story

Dead_pool likes this.
  17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Welcome back! I see it doesn't look like you've changed your mind on finding an instructor, which is a shame.

Nice to have you back though, stick around :)

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If you are self teaching you seem to be focusing on the target, rather than the bow and arrow that are your tools.

Sharpen the tools, pick one thing, drill it until it becomes you, revisit it occasionally to keep it sharp and move on.

It's the circle with no circumference.

You just keep doing laps. It's not a sprint to the end and it's done,

Put down the weapons and silly gun disarms.

I love it when members post videos, but I'd like your next one to be of a crisp side kick, not dozens of silly kicks against the bag.

19. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Welcome to the forums!

May I make a comment on something I have seen running through both your videos, weapon and weaponless alike? (more so in the weapon vids, which will be because weapons are not only force multipliers, they are fault multipliers as well). You don't have your core switched on, or indeed any consistent effective body structure - the various parts of your body are moving independently of each other and your power is being dissipated as a result. You can see this particularly in your nunchuck, sword spinning (?????) and tonfa clips, but it is also apparent in everything else as well. If you look at the third of your youtube videos from a kickboxing seminar at the big man in the black t-shirt or the one in the grey that you are sparring against, you can see they has their body functioning as a single unit, compared to how yours is switching on and off.

If I may ask, with whom do you/did you train karate? Or even, which style of karate is your base?

20. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Your partner was either very brave or he doesn't understand what you were doing on him for letting you try a scissor takedown.

Please don't take this the wrong way; however please get some proper instruction before you seriously hurt him.