Good workouts for grapplers

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by LeaFirebender, Aug 28, 2016.

1. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

So I'm hoping in a year from now I'll be in a place where I'm able to join either a BJJ or Judo dojo. In the mean time though, I want to gain some muscle so I can train at my best once I join. I'm currently 5'4 and a measly 105lb (that's 7.5 stone or 47.6 kg). That's not exactly great for not getting thrown around in my previous experience :bang:

Does anyone here know of any workout routines that are specifically geared toward grapplers? Or simply specific muscle groups I should focus on?

Thanks friends!

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Why would you waste a year? That's nonsense. You're at exactly the right weight for a lightweight grappler.

Find a club and join it next week. You'll get thrown around. But if you wait a year and put on 10kg, you'll still get thrown around, except you'll have missed out on a year of training in the meantime.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

What holy said. Also, any well balanced weight training program will do where you squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, row, etc, really.

4. LeaFirebender

I can't. Reasons are a bit personal but I simply don't have the resources to join a new club at the moment. Next year after I graduate it will be better. But in the mean time I might as well do something.

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It's always a good idea to enhance your "grip strength".

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQnG4rjyMmE&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQnG4rjyMmE&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Want to get bigger eat more

If you want to get bigger eat allot more.

If you want to put on.more muscle eat allot more protein.

Grappling involves allot of pulling motions and leg hip strength, so pull downs and chin ups, rows, deadlifts and squats. Do sets of 8 to 12 adding weight when you can, lift twice a week with plenty of rest between and you will grow and get stronger.

7. LeaFirebender

Thank you :lifting:

8. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Starting Strength is a great workout routine. Or if you want to make money while getting stronger get a job with a moving company.

9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

You don't get fit to start a sport or martial art you get fit by doing it, if you think its something you want to get into go join a club soon as possible, you will regret that year of experience you could have attained while you were "getting ready".

When it comes to Strength and Conditioning specificity has its place but don't get too hung up on looking for workouts specific for grappling, in general most people need to get stronger before they worry about anything else, you don't do that by mimicking sport specific movements holding a weight. If you are not going too be starting a martial art for a while for whatever reason following a basic entry level barbell programme to build a solid base of strength would by my recommendation, Starting strength and 5/3/1 are both excellent.

As far as what to do S+C wise once you have started I have found a two day split works best around a busy grappling schedule and this seems to be the consensus among many other grapplers on forums Iv spoken too. Good examples of what this type of programme might look like can be found in these articles.

http://www.powering-through.com/2012/06/two-day-strength-plan-for-bjj-ver-20.html

http://www.powering-through.com/2013/12/the-bondarchuk-complex.html
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/531-and-athletes

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

If he isn't doing anything else athletic he could easily lift more than twice a week after a couple of weeks of getting into it ?

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

12. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

My bad, also just seen she does already do a martial art so like Icefeild said 2 or at the most 3 stregnth and conditing sessions a week is probably plenty.

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

My bad, also just seen she does already do a martial art so like Icefeild said 2 or at the most 3 stregnth and conditing sessions a werk is probably plenty.

14. LeaFirebender

I did a martial arts, but not currently. I answered why I can't join at the moment in a thread above.

15. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

really, you can do anything: pushups, pullups, yoga, running, parkour, pick anything. the best exercise for grappling is actually grappling. as long as you're fit when you start, it should be fine.

16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Grappling sees a lot of forces going through your core, so really work your core stability.

Big pulling movements, like deadlifts, rows and pull ups will only do good.

Do a Youtube search for solo BJJ/Grappling drills. Do those a lot - the better you can move on the ground, the easier the initial learning curve will be.

17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Many "Chinese wrestling" workout can be seen in this clip. These kind of training has been used in China over thousands years. There is no need to re-invent the wheel.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQ5cBHK2u0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQ5cBHK2u0[/ame]

18. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Do anything isn't really great advise is it ? Grappling may be the best exercise for grappling but lifting progressivley heavier weights with the major compound movements will certainley prepare your body for it better than yoga or parkour.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  19. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

If you are doing no other training at all doing some low steady state cardio as well might not be a bad idea, nothing to strenouse just 40-60 minutes doing the cardio exercise of your choice (bike, running, rower) keeping your Heart Rate between 120-150 for the duration, if you dont have a moniter think of a pace thats a bit more than a jog but not full balls out intensity. That twice a week and weights twice a week focousing on the major compound movemounts would be a pretty solid general preperation routine for somone planing to start a grappling sport. You could probably even get away with doing your weights and steady state training one right after the other if you want to save time.

20. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

The years of Chinease athletes dominating all the major Judo, Freestyle and Submission wrestling tournaments can attest too the effectivness of performing uchi mata on a barbell or dancing around a rope.