Camera Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Frodocious, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

My old camera is on the blink (the zoom function has started to play up) and, since the camera is 9 years old, I am thinking of replacing it. Ideally I want something with a really good zoom on it but don't want to have to change lenses. I've been looking at some of the SuperZoom models (x40, x50, x60+) and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on which model might be a good investment.

I want a camera that is flexible enough to cope with city sightseeing, monuments, wildlife and museums. I don't want to spend a fortune because I am very much a point and shoot photographer and I don't want something big and bulky with multiple lenses to have to change. What would people recommend would be my best bet? My price range would be up to around £300.

2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

If it's for general use and not specifics, a decent phone with a good camera?

3. Frodocious

I want a camera with a decent zoom on it for wildlife shots etc.

4. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I would check out eBay and see if you can get a decent used dslr. You can get a basic 55mm-250mm zoom lens and that should cover most of your needs.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

6. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Not sure if a DSLR option is good for that price, if Frodo wants emphasis on zoom? A decent lens on that may cost 2-3x the amount of the camera.

7. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

You can used ones on ebay really cheap and spend the rest of your budget on decent lens. A good lens is far more important than a body.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

9. Frodocious

10. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Will you post some of your photo's here?

I've been told to take up photography, but I don't really see any skill in it. Seeing as I'm going to Scotland there should be some nice photo opportunities.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  11. Frodocious

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There is a MASSIVE difference between taking a photograph and being a photographer. Believe me.
    I met someone that takes professional photos of dogs recently and their control and manipulation of composition, depth of field, contrast, exposure, lighting and white/colour balance was outstanding.
    Compared to the "normal" photos I get sent to do my pastel portraits from they were like night and day.

I suspect you've got some dunning-kruger type dissonance going on with your perception of the skill needed to take a good photograph. :)

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

:dunno: *google*

From Wiki:

The study was inspired by the case of McArthur Wheeler, a man who robbed two banks after covering his face with lemon juice in the mistaken belief that, because lemon juice is usable as invisible ink, it would prevent his face from being recorded on surveillance cameras.

You couldn't make it up!

14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I don't have a recommendation for a specific model, but if you are going with something with a high zoom (x40, x50, x60+), see if it has a manual focus that you can use to override or at least a decent autofocus. I don't take long range pictures but I bought a new camera for videos that happens to have decent zoom (x40). It has some kind of stupid autofocus that seems over sensitive. On outdoor shots, the focus was constantly readjusting. The more I zoomed the worse it got. It was on a windy day and I think tree branches or stuff flying in the wind set the focus off. So I'm basically pretty much not using the long zoom on outdoor shots. I could not imagine trying to take pictures of wildlife on this thing.

15. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Is that optical or digital zoom? There is a big difference.

16. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

It was Optical Zoom I believe. I say it is broken zoom. Although otherwise it is very high resolution pictures.

P.S. it isn't the lens that is the issue, from what I can tell. The lens is great. I think it is the sensor that sucks. It seems a sensor for short range shots and there isn't any way to manually focus for long range shots.

So get a camera with a decent long range sensor for a reliable auto focus or a manual focus that can override the sensor.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  17. abbott

abbott New Member