What martial arts shall I do

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by hcmini1989, Jul 13, 2016.

1. hcmini1989

hcmini1989 New Member

Hi guys/gals

Right I'm currently doing Japanese jiu jitsu I'm now upto green belt I know it's not that high but I'm looking at doing some other stuff a bit more contact and compution based. I have a couple of options I was doing muay thai last year at all powers gym in Stockport but due to work and class times changing I couldn't make it there so had to stop.

Now I have a couple of options I could try beastmasters gym in Altrincham for a bit more thai but thought about judo now I have found a local club sale judo which is easy to get to class times are good.

How would judo compare to thai ? Now I know these are completely different styles but is part of judo learning katas etc as I think this may confusing with doing jiu jitsu as well or is it more of a combat sport.

Ideally I would like to get a good foundation for MMA. Or shall I just look at joining an MMA gym as I have seen a few and 12 guage mma in Stockport is not to far from my work so could join there.

Cheers for any input on this all so any recommendations on sale judo or 12 guage welcomed thanks

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Judo is an exceptional art, and these days few if any clubs do the katas that were there at the beginning of the art

If you are close enough I HIGHLY recommend this place

http://www.worsleyjudo.co.uk/instructors.php

Matt and Alan are both great guys with a LOT of experience.....Matt has an extensive Sambo background too

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

12guage has a very good rep.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Gym 01 is in Stockport. Southpaw trains there :)

5. Knee Rider

I thought he trained in Portsmouth? There's no gym 01 "oop 'ere"... That I know of

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

12 guage in Stockport is very good, as is factory BJJ.

the judo club hannibal linked looks great too.
    (As are most judo clubs)

gym01 is in Portsmouth, so would be a bit far!

7. hcmini1989

hcmini1989 New Member

Worsley judo is a bit full far for me I would never get there in time. I think I'm going to have to give both a try judo and 12 guage and see which one works for me. I thought there would be loads of judo clubs utility was suprised how few there are when I started looking.

Cheers for the input guys

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

9. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I would say either a good striking art or Judo would be fantastic for you. Most JJJ is kata-based with little to no randori. If your JJ club is like that, then learning to apply similar techniques under pressure would be of a tremendous benefit to you. Judo has been a great benefit for me. Injuries are quite common however, do you need to be careful and not overdo it. Be very careful about who you do randori with.

If you feel like a bit of a trip, there's always Snake Pit Wigan. ;)

10. AJMartialArtist

AJMartialArtist Valued Member

Even I have heard about 12 gauge growing up and living in Warrington and I have heard very very good things from their Now to get good foundations in MMA you need ground work, striking and a transition (To get from standing to ground) now this is where Judo comes however I would say for foundations 12 gauge gym because you learn striking and BJJ and by looking at their website they teach wrestling and submission.

So let's look at this at 12 you learn Mauy Thai you learn boxing you learn BJJ and Greco Roman wrestling in their MMA classes if you do this you will not need Judo but once homed these skills what is to say that Judo is not on your list and is you don't believe that a guy in Aussie is telling the truth here's the link.

http://www.12gaugemma.com/adults/

11. hcmini1989

hcmini1989 New Member

Have any of you guys heard of a gym called ECMMA elite combat mixed martial arts there was an add on Gumtree for them but expired in April so I can't find any contact details for them and nothing else on the Web it says there in a place called Cheadle heath just thought I would ask on here to see if anybody has ever heard of them or can some one point me in the right direction to finding them

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  12. Knee Rider

Never heard of them.

They might be just fine but I'm wondering why you'd look at them when you have a gold mine of MMA a thai boxing up here?

Have you checked out any of the ones suggested?

Edit - if all you can find on them is a pulled gumtree add I'd give em a miss. The scene is quite well knit here and everyone knows everyone.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  13. hcmini1989

hcmini1989 New Member

Yes mate I have popped into the judo good group but not for me I've not had chance to get to 12 gauge yet due to work . I was going to all powers in Stockport for a while and fell in love with that place but class times started to clash with work hours so had to stop going only reason I asked about ECMMA Is I work in Cheadle so would make it easy to get to but it's not a very big place and I've never heard of it or seen it ... I will hold out for 12 gauge as supposed to be getting some new shifts in a few weeks

14. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Why's that, out of interest?