Wild haymakers defense

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by EdiSco, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The guy in the video is allegedly one of the bestime FMA instructors in the UK.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Certainly one of the top JKD guys thats for sure :)

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

and a great boxer!

4. BahadZubu

BahadZubu Valued Member

Well the man is clearly a very experienced martial artist. But I would guess that his striking is good most likely because he has trained other striking arts (like boxing) and not due to him solely training FMA. He may very well have awesome stick/blade stuff but I would be surprised if that is what made him good with his hands.

Basically what I meant was, and I still stand by this, that JUST training FMA will not give you good boxing/hand to hand combat skills. Of course in the PI a lot of FMA gyms are also boxing clubs. I know for my art, Bahad Zubu, GM Yuli trained boxers and trained FMA out of the boxing gym. But to think you will get good with hands just by training FMA is, from everything I've seen, pretty unrealistic.

Swinging a stick/blade is just too different from fighting with empty hands.

5. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Of course, nobody would disagree that boxers have the absolute best hands (not that I'm biased....). not to mention the footwork/duck/slip/bob/weave/sway....

6. neems

neems Valued Member

In boxing slang that's called 'wildly over committing'.

Your opponent feints,you zombie lurch at him and can't block/slip/cover from his next shot (or 5).

7. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  8. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

An interesting thread with some good youtube clips and excellent comments and observations . As a boxing coach the nearest sort of equivalent is the long range hook although not thrown off the back foot (which is the way drunken yobs tend to do it) as it is hard enough to land a cross( the straight ) because of the distance ; although someone mentioned to me that the rear long rang hook is used in the UFC and Muay thai so I could be wrong.
    The majority of street fights(with out weapons) are punches/blows to the head and stop when one connects knocking the person out/down . A good boxing gym will teach one a number of effective skills even against wild haymakers; as from the start one is taught to keep ones guard up; how to cover up, footwork etc in short how to deal with a punch to the head, as only punches to the head achieves a knockout. Therefore one is constantly learning to protect the head; one doesn’t use time to develop kicks and use of a martial methods weapons. Therefore in training repartitions its all about dealing with a punch, whether it be by counter punching; footwork, ducking etc. If one has had 3 months boxing training at a good gym from a good coach I would say one has an excellent chance of defending against a wild haymaker.