foot instep

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by calendula, Aug 1, 2015.

1. calendula

calendula New Member

Hello!
    yes the injury happened about 2 years ago.
    after the 2-month break, I have gone back to the training and thought that my foot was healed.
    after the first kick against his elbow or tense leg, i feeled again the same strong pain f and sensitivity.
    After that i made again 1-2 months break and started training again although i feeled that the foot was not 100% ok.
    and always the same .....

once it was preparing for a tournament, another time it was the desire to train hard again and it always happened the same!

my last break was months long 2.5 .
    few days ago I kicked with medium force accidentally the elbow of my trainingspartner and now i feel again pain and sensibility!
    on the foot has been since the first time an exostosis formed.
    when i press this point i feel the pain exactly at this point.

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Ok, thanks for the update. Honestly I am only talking around your problem as obviously I am not there. You would benefit from getting a proper exam done.

Still I will try to be reasonably helpful and tell you a few things I do to think my way through this sort of problem.

First where things hurt can be confusing. All somatic tissues produce similar pain so unless here is a nerve injury (read numbness or parasethesia) then it is hard for one to identify which tissue they are feeling. It could be that the bone is tender , the skin or it might even be referred tenderness that is not due to a local injury. The best way to TRY and sort out the cause is to compare how the tissues take a load , usually compared to the opposite side limb.

As far as what is wrong you want to rule out big things first eg the nerves, the large joints nearby that can project pain to the area or even the local joints that can also refer pain. If you have pain on the top of the foot there is a chance that the whole joint is affected (stiff) but only the top is sensitive. If this were the case then you would have pain when you pushed the foot to point the toes (or when you contacted a solid object with the top of the foot) but you would also find that you couldn’t squat as easily with weight on that ankle or that your foot would pronate (roll inwards)more than normal if the ankle was stiff to reduce load on the ankle. There are more things that could be check but all I am doing here is to show the thought process.

Now say that the foot is the source and not the ankle joint. You need to see whether the tissues on top are just tight and sensitive and you have not stretched them out after being injured. Kicking something is a lot of force to a tight tissue so maybe , if the tissues were tight when stretched , repeating the stretches 3-4 times a day (~6 reps) might show some loosening in 2-3 weeks. One day will do nothing. Stretches would be done to the edge of discomfort, not into pain.

After things were stretched out then you could go back (wearing a bit of padding ) and start to see if the foot was still so sensitive. Of course if you came into my office we would have already checked this before I let you go back to train. This should be the mark of a good physiotherapist (chirogymnast?physiotherapeut?) that they actually work things back to allow the person full normal activity and not just get rid of pain.

Is this helping you at all? :’ D

LFD

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015