BJJ comp training prep

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Prizewriter, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

To those that have or still competed... What is your comp prep like? How does it differ from your normal training? What s&c do you do outside if class, or is it all Jitz Jitz Jitz.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

More rolling, geared around my comp game plan, only eat clean, lots of hill sprints, lots of stretching, no max lifting (injury prevention) the last few weeks, more standing practise again geared around comp game plan.

If your coaches do it, getting a private to tweak your game plan is very worth while.

3. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

Depends on how much time there is before the targeted competition. If I know well in advance, I'll try to increase aerobic capacity and functional strength some. I've found this is less effective for me if there is only a short time before the competition. I also don't really add any new techniques to my game during that period. Beyond that just drill, drill, drill, roll, roll, roll. Making sure to spend a decent amount of time on take downs. Part of the rolls are spent in a '4 points down' frame of mind the entire round.

4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Thanks folks. Does % of time you spend drilling-to-rolling change?

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

my gym's been getting into comp. mode for the local ibjjf's. we're doing lots of drilling in class and starting every match from the feet.

6. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

Not appreciably for me. We tend to vary round length though, some days doing 3 minute rounds with only enough time between to bump fists with the next training partner. High focus on working for submissions, none of us want to win on points. Though if it happens, we'll take it. :)