Used Kendo Armour

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Guy Preston, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Guy Preston

Guy Preston Valued Member

Hi folks,

Do you have any tips for a good place to pick up used Kendo stuff pretty cheap? Or know anyone selling? I'm is South UK.

Quality doesn't have to be great, and knocks, etc, are ok - not actually using for Kendo.

I just want to get a couple of spare Men, Do & Kote for our club to spice up our training at times with a bit of pressure.

Cheers

Guy

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

There's almost certainly a cheaper option unless you just like the look.
    What will they be used to protect against? Shinai?

3. Docholiday

Docholiday Valued Member

A better bet if you're not doing kendo Is a fencing (3 weapon/saber mask) mask is a good option, for gloves hockey or lacrosse gloves, if you need body protection lacrosse has good shoulder and chest protection or a decent tkd torso pad (hogu?) might be more affordable and less restrictive movement wise.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

5. Guy Preston

Yep Shinai

Mainly for kata type practice really, but to allow more intent and speed.

I was thinking Kendo type stuff, as I already have some myself, and was looking to pick up another few bits as spares for class, for people who don't have their own gear.

Fukuro shinai are good, I've used them quite a bit in Genbukan/KJJR but they always broke too easily.

Hadn't thought of TKD body armour before, but that comes up quite cheap - we don't have lacrosse here so didn't spring to mind, but I'm looking at that too.

Cheers for your help!!

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I always thought that was the idea, they broke, you didn't. and you can always grow the bamboo yourself.

Kendo armour is expensive, but very good for its job.

Have you thought about using the role playing type PVC wrapped type of practise waster.

7. Guy Preston

Yep, but quite often they just broke on each other... lol

Haven't really looked at the PVC ones, they've always looked too bendy and light to me, but haven't actually held one - anyone have any experience of them?

I've just used my stuff in past training, and am just bringing weapons back into class, so thought about getting some spares for class - hadn't really given much thought beyond that to be honest

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Pvc is too flexible for anything longer than about thirty inches. It also has a habit of splintering. Poles from bandshoppe.com work well and you have the option of making spears and staves.
    If you go that route, however, look up one of the heavy contact LARPs like Belegarth and see how they make theirs. Band shoppe pole is very solid fiberglass and can injure you if it isn't padded properly. A properly constructed one is very safe but you must put leather or plastic over the ends, as the circular tip will cut through your padding. I had my orbital fractured by one that had done that.

Padded rattan has been done but isn't so good at spear lengths.