Ninjitsu Vs. jujitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by lucianb, Aug 9, 2004.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

What's better in the field today? Buy a gun.

Which art is better? It's the person, not the art.

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Well yea and no. It's the training. I've trained with tai chi guys who could knock your block off but they are the exception. Rarely however will you find someone who has boxed for a year or two who can't do that.

Some arts produce consistently better skills.

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

How dare you!

Ninja are a mere shadow compared to Korean martial arts!

(yeah, I really did watch it again :D )

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

So it's not the art, it's the training methodology.

Mitch

5. David Harrison

I don't know how you can separate them. They are two sides of the same coin.

If the principles/techniques suck, they will be weeded out by a robust training methodology.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Not really. Many styles of karate share the same principles, but will train for a different purpose. The basic karate kicks and strikes are pretty much shared by many styles, but a full contact style will put them into use in a different way and train accordingly.

That's the point; principles can be held in common, but you need to train them appropriately for the desired environment.

Mitch

7. David Harrison

If you're employing techniques in a different manner, how is that not a difference in principles?

8. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

To an extent. As David said in many cases they are inseparable. Could American Freestyle or boxing really be thought as the same styles without the pressure testing? I don't think so because the pressure testing is integral to the styles.

At the same time I've seen guys who were incredibly good at various so called "internal martial arts" because they did it with actual pressure.

And not all teaching is created equal either. The level of knowledge and technicality can vary from teacher to teacher as well. I've certainly seen my share of that in Wing Chun.

There are many factors involved but generally anyone with pressure tested training will have a huge advantage. If boxers removed the pressure testing and only did shadow boxing and bag work and all the tai chi guys fought full contact I know who I would bet on.

And context... context is important. Wouldn't be wanting to do high kicks for most SD situations for instance, grapple a knife wielding coke-head, or beat on someone because you want to put them in cuffs. Everything has its place.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  9. David Harrison

And by "principles", I'm not just talking about power generation, stances, redirecting force etc., I am talking about how those things are implemented in a tactical framework.

Pressure, as well as format (sparring conventions, drilling formats, competition rules etc.), will incontrovertibly affect this.

10. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Ninjutsu, I'm my limited experience, rolling around pretending to throw shuriken at each other, and mildly putting locks etc oncompliant partners, most of which are doing it cos ninja films are cool. Ju jutsu, don't know. Actual proper sparring, grappling and such, hmm know where my money lies, never in 18 months of ninjutsu was anything pressure tested, in 2 months of jkd I've come out wringing with sweat and battered, there's my answer. Albeit a noobs one

11. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Then why post on a martial art forum instead of a gun forum. Besides, unless you are law enforcement, you cannot carry a gun "every where"

Indeed :)

As for the "its the person":

"Its the person": Who abuses the gun and murder people in cold blood

"Its the person": Who should research and examine information before getting into something (caveat emptor )

"Its the person": Who should check out the art they desire to fit their needs