Reiki and its side effects

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Stewart, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

So do you think reiki can prevent the need for medicines like chemotherapy when somebody develops cancer due to non-preventable genetic mutations?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Used to avoid medicines. That's a big statement that you'll need to back up.

Medicines are natural products as well as the result of manufacturing processes.

Are you claiming that we no longer need to take the natural medicines that nature provides?

3. Reikiinchennai

Reikiinchennai New Member

How could you say reiki is a manufacturing processes??

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

There is a tendency to process normal people in to crazy people who'll believe pretty much anything to the point where they'll avoid proven modern medical treatments in favour of crystals and other quackery.

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I don't mean to be snide here, but that is not at all what he said. Is English your native language?

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Chennai is in Tamil Nadu in India. I am not sure how well the person in question speaks/understands english.

On a side note, homeopathy is extremely popular on the Indian sub-continent

''At present, in India, homeopathy is the third most popular method of medical treatment after allopathy and Ayurveda. There are over 200,000 registered homeopathic doctors currently, with approximately 12,000 more being added every year.'' http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20471616

Mahatma Gandhi the Father of Nation :" Homoeopathy is the latest and refined method of treating patients-economically and non-violently Government must encourage and patronize it in our country ”. http://www.homeoint.org/site/delhihomeo/historyindia.htm

I just added this to show that reiki isn't that unusual as a form of treatment in the area.

LFD

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Its popularity in India is possibly linked to the country's high levels of poverty and illiteracy.

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. David Langford

David Langford New Member

Any art that lets you become a healer after a few weeks is totally bogus in my opinion.

It takes years to develop the radiant health, vitality, and internal strength within yourself to the point to where you can even think of learning healing. I've been training since 2010 and I am not ready for such a thing yet. No way.

I've seen Reiki healers that are sick or injured themselves, who are nervous and have mental issues. These people can't even heal themselves.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Yes - it's the short training time that is bogus. Not the Jesus hands, but the number of training hours accrued.

:rolleyes:

10. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

By training I assume you mean med school… right? What are you talking about here specifically?

That's like saying I've seen scientists who carry a rabbit's foot, therefore science is wrong. I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion, but your logic.

11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Actually, I'm not so sure.

If they are supposedly radiating healing energy that they can channel into other people, then themselves displaying the symptoms they claim to heal is a good indicator they are talking crap.

It's like a hippy shop full of wealth-giving crystals going out of business (which always cracks me up :D ).

Scientists have no obligation to be rational outside of their professional activities.

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. David Langford

Hey traditionally Qi Gong wasn't even taught to sick people, because the exponents that earned the right to learn it were themselves typically already healthy and fit. But nowadays my school teaches it openly and it's helped a lot of people. I don't really care about the mechanism behind it. Just the direct experience of it helping me. My Sifu had mitral valve prolapse, he learned Qi gong, he got better. I had severe tendinitis and joint issues, I learned Qi Gong, I got better. I can only hope that my future students reap similar benefits when I am ready to pass on the arts.

Whether the mechanism is chi, a form of biofeedback, mind over matter aka placebo, miniature pink elephants with healing lazer beam eyes...I couldn't care less, it's been a pretty beneficial thing for me. :)

13. David Harrison

And studies would agree with you: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3085832/

It's the idea of healing others that appears to be bogus.

14. David Langford

*Nods* Cool article man, thank you!

I wouldn't rule it out either though. I think the question is whether or not people such as masters of genuine qi gong are doing all the work, or if they are facilitating the start towards self healing such as what is proposed in that article.

I lean towards the latter because back when I first learned qi gong my Sifu "opened some vital points" at my head and back as he was teaching me, and I definitely felt a sense of change within myself. I think it was that moment that gave me the momentum to finish the job in my own subsequent training over the next few months that led to my recovery.

I recall a sense of euphoria, and an influx of clarity, alertness, and joy. It was a very unique experience that has stuck with me. Most importantly through this he gave me confidence that my recovery would be a matter of course.

15. David Harrison

Well, I think that "self healing" is putting it a bit strongly. "Alleviation of symptoms" might be more apt. Gentle exercise, breathing and meditation are good for you whether you believe in qi or not.

A lot of studies into alternative medicine are fundamentally flawed. Here's a good article on such an example: https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.or...algia-in-the-new-england-journal-of-medicine/

This quote pretty much sums up where I stand, and the essay it is from is a good summary of the problems with vitalism and other such unfounded theories:

"In short, explanations of healings in terms of energy seem about as likely to yield anything of interest as looking for ghosts at a séance. We would be much better off if we investigated how energy healers are altering subjects’ motivations, expectations, and interpretations of their own feelings and experiences. Just as we have learned that the power of hypnosis has nothing to do with putting people into trances or opening up the doors to the subterranean subconscious, so too we might learn that energy healing has nothing to do with energy but everything to do with complex social interactions in various cultural situations. There is much to learn from the energy healers but I’m afraid we’re looking in all the wrong places."

- http://skepdic.com/essays/energyhealing.htm

16. CamToolin

CamToolin New Member

Hmm.. i would suggest to try different. :)