foot instep

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by calendula, Aug 1, 2015.

1. calendula

calendula New Member

hello!

before 3 years while training i kicked someone with a roudnkick ,he moved back and my foot-instep hit his ellbow.

after 2 months it was better....
    but since then everytime when i thing that it has healed,do sparring and my instep has medium to strong contact with the ellbow or leg of the sparringspartner i feel again the pain and i can not train for 2 months.

what can i do?
    thank you !

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Have you ever had the foot x-rayed, or examined by a doctor?

3. calendula

calendula New Member

i ging to the doctor and he said it will be ok in one month......

after the second injury....he said the same....

so i dont know what to do.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think you maybe need to seek out a sports injury clinic, or physiotherapist and get a second opinion.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It's likely you broke something, don't go hitting anyone with it hard for 3 to 6 months,
    Next time it happens go to AE or a walk in centre (with x ray access) not your GP.

When your GP says it'll be OK in a month, he doesn't mean OK for kick boxing, he means OK for walking on.

6. calendula

calendula New Member

the doctor saw an exostosis on the foot.
    it will heal on its own if I do 3-6 month break or it needs surgery?

7. Dead_pool

Then either take the break, or don't kick with that leg.

8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Out of curiosity, what kind of round kick were you using? Were you trying to hit with your shin like a Thai boxing round kick?

9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Or, since you seem to be from Germany, ask your doc to write you a letter of referral to your orthopedist. I can't talk for all of them, but lots have their own x-ray and know how to read the pictures.

Also give your foot more rest, when you realize it's still tender and don't go kicking with it.
    (I know, this is probably harder then it should be. For me at least that's always the case :D )

10. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Broke my ankle 3 times, twice training martial arts and the first time the doctor said it would be ok in a month, otherwise it was fine. the second time the MD asked me whenI broke my ankle the first time...I was unaware that I had broken it but the x-rays sure as heck showed I had.

get a second opinion

11. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

This is why you should kick with the shin and not the foot.

12. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

getting hit with a white wax staff in the ankle while, technically, off the ground doesn't help either.

13. calendula

calendula New Member

yes we should always kick with the shin but sometimes its not possible...
    if he moves back then you kick with the foot...

but my problem is that i feel pain and can not use my leg for a month even though i kick medium power against hard target...

14. Dead_pool

If it needs rest, it needs rest. You need to not kick with it untill it heals.

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Fusen nailed it right in the beginning, in my opinion.

Give your foot the time it actually *needs* , not only the time you want it to need.
    If it takes more then four weeks - than it takes more.

I broke my arm in January and even though I got operated on it (got a plate), it took months until it was healed - and even two weeks ago it hurt for a few days, after I overdid it.

If I'm right and you're from Germany you have the right to get a second opinion, without anyone being able to complain.

16. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Well things aren't always what they appear to be.

It sounds like you have had an injury quite a while ago and perhaps even had something similar happen a second time. It's not clear whether you are still suffering at the moment or hoping to avoid the whole thing happening again.

First, most things heal in a relatively short period of time unless there is something fairly bad metabolically wrong with you. You could be left with tenderness (eg bone bruise) that will take a long time to go away but the chances that there is something substantially wrong are quite low. This is the reason why the doctor sends you away to see if things settle with a bit of time.

So here is where there is a problem. Lots of the population has injuries that have healed and look funny. Others have damage that has not gone away but has stopped being sensitive. If these people were x-rayed/scanned then it would confuse the issue since the damage present was asymptomatic and may never cause discomfort. Operating would only potentially cause more problems than were there to begin with.

A thorough examination would show you whether there was any structural problems and whether there was sensitivitiy that had little to do with injury. Once you were at that point it would be easier to work out a training problem to deal with what was found whether that be scar tissue tightness, bone sensitivity or a few other things. Not everything goes away (as in stuff can hurt even when you are better) but its easier to work out whether it is safe to train with pain or not once you know if the pain indicates an injury or just sensitivity. There are ways to manage sensitivity but that's for a later discussion...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWMKucuejIs[/ame]

LFD

17. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I was asking about if you were trying to hit with your shin independently of your injury. For your injury, it will take time to heal. I've done what was done to you a few times. About ten or eleven years ago I had an amateur match and I kept moving away hitting the instep of my opponent with my elbow. He could hardly walk after the match.

More recently, I somehow hurt my instep while kicking something. I had to go back and re-evaluate my technique. For landing a kick with the shin, we know the timing and angle is different than striking with the ball of the foot. Getting the right timing and angle was something I must have got lazy with. What helped me, and maybe will help you, is to go back to focusing on my supporting leg for power. To do this I went back to the basics of arm movement. In particular, bringing the arm of the supporting leg down before whipping it back up to cover the face.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezIHiN6NvEI"]The Secrets to the Perfect Muay Thai Kick: Demonstrated by a Lumpinee Champion - YouTube[/ame]

Pay attention to the arm movement in the above video and how it is coordinated with supporting leg, hips forward, and kick. Of course you got to heal first, so maybe use other leg.

If I catch an elbow now it still hurts, but the angle seems better so it doesn't happen as often or seem as bad.

FYI: I'm surprised you haven't mentioned pain on the top of the foot from wearing shoes. When I've hurt my instep in the past, I noticed getting the right shoes helped me heal faster.

18. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

This. and in your case, 'rest' means not using that foot except for walking. It does not mean 'kicking only medium level impact'

19. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Now I agree with everyone re a fresh injury and all the things that go along with it. I also agree about not doing too much when there is a chance that something can go wrong. On the other hand some perspective about the foot..

My 70yo + female friend broke her foot in multiple places. When the orthopod looked at the x-rays he said don't worry it will get better over time. She said I am going to the Andes, to hike to Machu Pitchu, is that ok. He said it's not a problem. If you can take the pain it won't really affect the outcome.

So as I said, it's the state of the foot that is important. No amount of rest is going to fix sensitivity. If the foot is structurally sound then it may be a matter of padding the area to protect it temporarily, doing things to desensitise the area (zostrix is a topical medication used to reduce sensitivity) as well as other things such as slowly ramping up the use/contact level in a graduated manner. Rest isn't always good for the healing process.

I think the op needs to give a bit more info re how frequently this happens (does he have to stop training for a month EVERY time he kicks something once?) , is the severity of the response the same every time (does it always produce crippling levels of pain or do the pain levels vary depending on the angle and intensity of contact etc) , what HAS the doctor done to date and if nothing has been done then the op should be going back and getting things clearly diagnosed even if that diagnosis amounts to you have had an injury that has left you sensitive but nothing is wrong.

Hope I don't sound like I am OTT but I see too many people who either rest or go full bore after being injured. Neither is the appropriate response for the largest number. You wouldn't get up from being sick and run a marathon without training to be able to run a distance. Similarly returning to kicking after a contact injury might required graded return to contact..

just sayin'

LFD

20. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Not as good as if the answer were from himself (hopefully he does answer later :) ), but in another forum (that's the reason why I think he's from Germany btw) he had written that the accident was two years ago, that he paused for two months and that since then it hurts *everytime* he kicks something, so that he had to take a break from kicking again with it for a few weeks.

Just wanted to give that info, in case it's of any help to Late for Dinner to help the OP out.