Non "fighting" techniques

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by pearsquasher, Jul 30, 2015.

1. pearsquasher

pearsquasher Valued Member

Over the years I've seen Bujinkan techniques that often serve to deal with assault in an indirect manner and enjoy practicing these things in class.

For example:
    - Protecting the person you've just knocked down

Sometimes I cover the head of my uke with my hands if they are falling towards the ground. I indicate that its important to be aware of this kind of thing as its not necessarily good to automatically drop people thoughtlessly and automatically.

Also the hitting-while-escaping ideas form Koto Ryu have popped up a lot recently.

Anything else come to mind that generally goes against the usual engagement ideas found in general martial arts?

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

In Aikido I was taught to go 95% with 5% held back in case I needed to "bail out" to protect myself or my training partner.

Ideally you should be in control of how and where your training partner falls. So by "protecting" your training partner when they fall, that is one way to demonstrate that you have full control over them.

If you do not completely control how and where they fall, for example you unbalance yourself trying to control them, then this can be a red flag that either your technique is not good and/or your choice of technique is not good.

I remember one time my uke was quite larger than me and I stomped his knee while bringing him down backwards (e.g. a sentry take down technique) ending in an attack to the throat/neck and eyes. Under normal conditions this particular technique that I was demonstrating, lands the spine between the shoulder blades on my knee in a very controlled manner. Well just so happens that we are moving fast and as uke falls, I realize he is going to land with his side and I have really no control changing this due to the size difference and a combination of bad technique and choice of technique.

Long story short, I had no real control over uke's fall. I bailed out and let him fall to the ground.

I ended up afterwards modifying the technique to a knee strike to uke's spine as they fall backwards rather than having uke fall unto the top of my knee as per the original way I was taught. This gave me time to position correctly for the throat/neck and eyes attack that follows.

In any case, actively controlling how and where uke falls is a good way to test that you have control over them. Otherwise you risk building a false sense of security, that you have control when really you don't under pressure.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The best judo guys to train with are always the black belts. They throw you the nicest.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

One of my lactose intolerant coworkers drinks milk throughout the day so he can use "tactical farts." No, I am not kidding. He actually uses them to deal with non-compliant people. It's amazing and hilarious how he gets them to stop talking, but not one of us will ride with him if we see him anywhere near dairy products.

5. pearsquasher

pearsquasher Valued Member

6. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

Terrible idea. It's their responsibility to know how to receive, not yours.

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you want to do it, you should do it 100%. Otherwise, you should not even do it in the first place.

The traditional "hip throw" solo training requires that after you have thrown your opponent over your body, your waist holding arm will need to give your opponent a final lift. This way your opponent will not fall down on the ground too hard.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gocTuQLhK6w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gocTuQLhK6w[/ame]

In the modern training, that lift has been removed. The reason is simple. The "final lift" is against the principle of "body smashing" and you can't train both at the same time.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpgkmYq3mLA&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpgkmYq3mLA&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  8. gtlaau

gtlaau Valued Member

The "hip throws" in the 9 ryu do not look like that. If your teacher/s teach it resembling anything like that, then they are letting sports martial arts bleed into the technique.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You'll forgive me if I scoff at the idea of a veteran grappler taking your advice on hip throw technique. Looking after your training partners is allowing sensible training methodology to bleed into your practice

10. gtlaau

gtlaau Valued Member

I was referring to the videos posted directly above my last post.

Obviously looking after your training partners is a no brainer, I was not commenting on that.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  11. holyheadjch

Those videos show solo drills.

12. gtlaau

gtlaau Valued Member

Obviously, but they are applied in a sporting way (nothing wrong with sport martial arts), but the technique practiced in that manner is incorrect if you are trying to practice the way it is taught in the Bujinkan. If you are practicing another art then its fine.

13. holyheadjch

How does the bujinkan practise the hip throw?

14. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

What is the key difference between the sport method and how you do it?

15. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

And more to the topic, if you finish the throw with upright posture and pull the uke's arm or collar to your hip, he will land unbalanced, you will be more stable, you'll be able to disengage, knee ride, strike or deploy a weapon at will, and he will not land on his head.
    Good way to protect your training partner and it increases your odds of winning the fight. Committing to spiking him into the ground is sometimes what you have to do, but if it doesn't finish, you're now tangled up with him and either person could scramble to the dominant position.
    Too many people want to commit too much because they think that if you're not focused on how much the technique hurts the bad guy, you're not training for real fights. They lose sight of the strategy and positioning and they get drawn into a trap or they lose in a scramble they didn't need to create.

16. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

My understanding of the "hip throw" is almost non existent, but what i found was that you need a lot of flexibility in your legs and especially in the Achilles tendon. You sink in a lot and try not to bend at the waist. I found it extremely difficult, especially against people at my own height or smaller. Never done Judo so can't compare.

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You mean improving them? Cool

18. BujinBoston

BujinBoston New Member

No Hannibal, not improving them. Some of the throwing techniques are meant to have the uke fall in a way as to not let them take ukemi. Throwing in this manner is not "sporting".

At least this is my understanding of what I have been taught.

19. BujinBoston

BujinBoston New Member

I did mean to say that I fully agree that practicing throws in a sporting way/environment helps the practitioner better understand performing throws. Even if the technique must changed somewhat for that environment.

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

That you believe it is the most important part.