Kids MMA / TKD / Krav Maga classes in Cheshire?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by JuJitsoup, Sep 28, 2016.

1. JuJitsoup

JuJitsoup New Member

I want my kids (9 & 10) to start training in a martial art with resistive opponents. We're not overly fussed about the style and as I know that most flavours will be useful if taught correctly and sparring is against resistance. We've arrived at this point as they've been training in traditional Ju Jitsu for a couple of years but at their age range it's just plain fake and totally useless in school skirmishes. We've tried a few TKD (sparring), MMA and Krav Maga classes but none were suitable (lack of participants, very short classes, no mats, too many games) so we're now struggling to find anywhere suitable in our area.

We've written off traditional Ju Jitsu, Karate, Kung Fu and Aikido for the lack resistive opponents, at least at kids level anyway, but please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

We're in Warrington but we're happy to travel a bit (Warrington, Widnes, Runcorn, Northwich) if we can find the right class. Our only prerequisites are that it's as real-world as possible and they use mats.

I did find Relentless MMA in Runcorn (which I guess is the remains of Wolfslair?) but their phone number is dead and they don't answer Facebook messages.

So any advice or pointers towards some decent clubs in my area would be much appreciated.

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

How young?

3. JuJitsoup

JuJitsoup New Member

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

A boxing club would be good, but the downside is that it can be VERY monotonous. Not a lot of games, just hard work. A judo club would probably be my first option is I were you. All the benefits of resistive sparring and from what I've seen in judo, it's a very consistent standard across the board.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yup, judo would be great. A lot depends on what you mean by "real world," because for a 9 year old there are some real limitations, but judo is technical rough and tumble in some ways, so great for kids.

Otherwise I'd seriously consider rugby or similar.

Mitch

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Let us know what you decide.

8. JuJitsoup

JuJitsoup New Member

Thanks for the nod, looks good.

I should have added in the OP that they the prefer striking arts. If we couldn't find a combined striking and ground sparring art I was hoping to supplement kickboxing/Muay Thai with Judo/BJJ if we could find the time as they're tight for free time.

I need to maintain their interest in whatever they're doing or I'll have to shoehorn them there every week and this can become tiresome for all of us. I know they loved the kicking and boxing elements of the arts they've tried before so that's more where my search is aimed if there are any other options.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

10. JuJitsoup

JuJitsoup New Member

Looks ideal. Thanks again for the info. Will give it a go and see if it ticks all boxes.