Training swords/wasters

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Dan93, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

As per my last post I have recently started training and I am looking for a decent training sword/waster for home practice.

I have been looking at the cold steel medieval sword trainer. polypropylene build but advertised as the same weight as a real sword and supposed to be pretty durable.

http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/Medieval-Training-Sword.html

Looking for something of the same weight as a standard sword to build strength in my sword arm. Does anyone have any recommendations or will this sword be suitable?

Cheers

Dan

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I would look at some of the reviews of different product lines by Matt Easton and the Academy of Historical Fencing on YouTube. They have quite a few different reviews and should give you a better I des where to start.

I've never been a fan of cold steel's sword trainers, although I do like their knife trainers. Plenty of people don't like them because of the balance and tendency to hit hard.

Probably better to invest in a high quality metal training sword which you'll be able to actually use for contact training.

3. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Thanks for that Ben.

I will look into Matt Easton's reviews, I didn't want to rush into a purchase and I did contemplate paying a little more for a metal training sword.

Cold steel were advertising that they were the same weight and pretty tough for impact work...

Cheers

Dan

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

For what you're doing one of the Rawlings synthetics from the HEMA shop will probably be fine, although they are slightly floppy. I've got some Blackfencer stuff due this month which is supposed to be much more realistic. Not the cheapest (especially with the weakness of the pound) and the lead time isn't great (I ordered in April/May) but they will make exactly what you want, so for true custom work it's actually pretty cheap.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The CS stuff is excellent but it does hit bloody hard...I use them for that reason tbh, but there is an increased risk of getting a solid whack

It depends what your goals are training wise

6. Ben Gash CLF

The general feeling among HEMA people seems to be that the cold steel knife trainers are really good, but the sword trainers really aren't.
    Very blunt review from the AHF here https://youtu.be/zVhWMCG6aAo

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  7. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

These are exactly what I use as wasters, and they do their job just fine for that purpose. For something a little sturdier, upgrading to steel might be worthwhile, but if you want good quality than you're likely talking about over £200 per sword, which might be a little too expensive for a waster!

8. Ben Gash CLF

Also if you're going to spend that kind of money you're probably going to want something from a named maker, and the lead times can be horrifying.

9. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

It depends on what exactly you want to do with it.

Not a fan of CS swords.

You can always start with a stout stick.

Strength of arm is not as important as core strength for swords. What's more likely to tire is your grip, so do your towel-ups. Do squats and bridges and animal walks, along with HIIT training. That's far more useful. Wrists tend to get tired too. Do a lot of molinelli with something sword-like.

I "like" to do suicides in my fencing mask. That's a level of hell.

If you're just doing cuts in the back yard, nylon trainers are too light to give your arms any workout. It also depends what's legal in your league.

Another thing to do is figure eight cuts with a steel longsword in the "mortschlag" position (sword reversed to use as a hammer in two hands). That'll make a man out of you.

Your coach will likely have recommendations. As a HEMA guy I use mostly feders these days, albeit rather long ones. The Hanwei practical ******* sword is quite stout and will give you a workout. It's cheap too. Might be a bit too much for a gauntlet to withstand full force, so be careful.

10. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

As standard, agreed. However, it's possible to add extra weight buy buying steel fittings (crossguard and pommel) which increases the weight significantly. This still represents a much cheaper option than a good feder and is safe for beginner sparring with less armour than a steel blade as an added advantage.

11. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was going to reply last night but was running late for Jujutsu.

I have had a look at the suggested sites and really like the synthetic sparring swords from the HEMA shop. exactly what I am looking for so for sparring and pell work.

Langenschwert also hit the nail on the head with regards to grip strength as it was in my wrists that I was feeling fatigue during pell work and wanted to improve on this, As luck would have it I have a old tire lying around that is not road worthy so will make good use of this for my pell work and I will be adding more grip exercises to my gym routine along with my sword work.

12. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

After grappling, weapons are the next best thing to develop grip strength. Remember that just like a fist, you don't need to clench till just before impact. That should help reduce fatigue. With a two-handed weapon, the power comes from the off hand, so you'll learn to cut well once you've cut so much your dominant hand gives out completely from fatigue.

The backyard tire pell is a fantastic idea. Many folks use them.