Re-starting Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by morosis, May 30, 2008.

1. morosis

morosis New Member

G'day

I've been in an MA drought for a while, and have decided I want back in :)

I'm a programmer in Brisbane, Australia, and am currently looking for a good MA to take up close to the city somewhere (I live very close to the CBD).

As a kid I did a little boxing and judo, then took up other sports until around 1998 when I started Cheah Tae Kwon Do. When I left due to study commitments about 3 years later I was near black belt (I could have been, but never got to the gradings due to study). I loved that club (friendly but hard instructor).

I'm not really sure what I would like to do yet, but the style of Cheah is very much TKD with added JKD - what I mean is that Master Cheah would borrow elements from BJJ, Kung Fu, Karate, etc. if he thought it would provide an advantage to the way that we learned to fight, and the elements that he borrowed fit into the style quite nicely. As a contrast to standard TKD, we did lots of joint locking, grappling, floor work, basic weapon defence, as well as the standard punches and kicks that you'll find in ITF, etc.

I'd go back, but the nearest club is over 1.5hrs drive away :(

I'm very interested in training a similar style of MA to what I did in the past, as I thought it provided a well rounded skill set, but I don't want a club that trains for tournaments, I want to learn proper fighting skills that you can use in reality. Not because I want to use them, but because I believe those styles provide a much more complete technique, and are thus more interesting, than a tournament focussed style.

Anyone live in Brisbane and know of a club with a good instructor who pushes hard, in a reasonably well-rounded style? Perhaps I should be looking at taking one style now and moving to another that covers the other areas later. I'm not sure :)

Thanks for listening (reading?) my first post - I hope to stick around here as it looks like an interesting forum.

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hiya morosis

Thank you for joining us - we have quite a few people from Oz these days and I am sure someone can help you. Perhaps put a post or two in the relevant forum or Discussion in Schools and Teachers - you may get a few more responses that way :)

3. Daniel at UQTKD

Daniel at UQTKD New Member

Recommendation

Hi Morosis. Shameless plug here for the club I currently teach at. The TKD club at the University of Queensland is super-friendly, but we run hard sessions in terms of fitness and drills. When we're not drilling traditional TKD techniques, we're cross training with BJJ, Wing-Chun, Weapons and general street self-defence.

Sounds quite similar to what you're used to. Because we are non-profit, no-one will hassle you for fees if you want to check it out for a couple of weeks.

ATM we're training Wed 7:30-9:30pm and Friday 4-6pm. We also have some informal sessions (mostly bagwork) that run by arrangement...just 'cos we enjoy training. Sessions are in the Martial Arts Gym, UQSport building.

Wherever you end up....good luck!

4. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Welcome to the MAPness! I can't help you WRT clubs in your area, but glad to have you among our ranks. :)

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome!

It sounds like you may be open to trying out other styles? If so, there is a Choy Li Fut and Tai Chi Chuan school in Brisbane. The Chief Instructor there originally comes from one of my school's locations. He is Sifu Estrada's student- the Encinitas location. From what I see of the website, they are modeled and run the way my school is.

I don't personally know the Chief Instructor, but I do know and have MUCH respect for Sifu Estrada. So, I have faith this school is of high quality.

The website even has the youtube commercial cliips from my school.

It might be closer than the one and a half hour drive? I don't know. Go check it out and see if it is your thing or not. If you have any questions, ask me. Assuming it is run the same way, I can probably answer most questions you would have.

http://www.blacklion.com.au/default.aspx

Links to his Sifu and my school- the school this Instructor is from are on that website.

If you aren't familiar with it, they would be part of the Plumblossom Federation. Links to read up on this are also on this school's website. Tons of information on that website!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Ladies and gentlemen,

Please be aware that you are replying to a post that is six years old, and it was the OP's one and only post. While it's very nice of you to offer him such a warm welcome, it really is a bit pointless.

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

:eek:Oh geez, when I see a post come up under new posts, I don't bother to see if someone is necro'ing it. I suppose I better start checking.

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

There will come a day when people necro old threads that were started before they were born. :D

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

In addition to getting in as many mentions of your own club as is possible.

I am watching and you are damn lucky Frodocious is on holiday. :D

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think you should keep an eye on Morosis. I get the feeling that he's going to be trouble.