An old question, Steven Segul and Machida/Anderson.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

So I am sure you guys have talked about this topic, I have just never seen this video before. What exactly is the question about whether or not Segul contributed this to Machida's win?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_06I-_OxFKY&app=desktop"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_06I-_OxFKY&app=desktop[/ame]

2. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

He taught them how to do a front kick of doom.

3. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

All he taught them was how to get a lot of publicity for doing very little. Something Steven seagal is very skilled in :)

4. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

He needs to start training conor mcgregor.. Maybe he already is?

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think the video showed just how patient Machida really is. I would have front kicked Segal through the wall inside of 2 minutes.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Notice how you never see Steven Seagal and Dana White in the same room?

Just sayin'.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I believe that Seagall and Anderson Silva both had the same publicist/marketing company. Hence the 2 getting to work together.

8. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I wouldn't mind having a video of Seagull showing me something...like a young Kelly LeBrock

9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Seagull invented the front kick.

It's a super secret move taught to him by the Russian Karate masters that raised him or whatever.

Any evidence of people doing front kicks before Seagull has been doctored after the fact. Including your own memory.

Always trust a man that wears tacticool shooting glasses when walking about in public... without a gun.

...or Mushroom is right, take your pick :D

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

watching the video...seagal can barely move. it's actually a little embarrassing. for him to take any credit for that is beyond ridiculous. it's not like machida wasn't raised by a karate black belt or anything. i'm so tired of hearing seagal this or that.

11. Combat Sports

...k... so then it's just sheer coincidence that he was showing them front kicks and then they used front kicks?

I am totally willing to go along with this but there needs to be more then just "I hate him so he therefore didn't help..." Machida even mentioned him at the end of the fight he used the kick. So why is it so far fetched?

12. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't hate. I just think it's ridiculous. Let's see, guy trains in karate since he was three. Competes in martial arts, was former UFC champion. This guy tells him one thing and suddenly it's the fat guy that gets all the credit? Like Machida has never front kicked before? It's absurd that any credit is given to Seagal, even by Machida.

13. Combat Sports

I will say before Machida and Anderson doing it I always wondered why that exact kick and use of it was neglected by strikers in MMA. I used to use it in street fights as a kid and it was good for getting between someone's hands.

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I don't love or hate Seagal.

It is pretty much the very first kick one learns in many MA's. It was the first kick I learned. How about others here? That is why the idea sounds so ridiculous to many.

In interviews with Seagal (one where he was wearing those shooting glasses and talking about not responding to space and time like most people) he seemed to take WAY too much credit for the skills of two extremely accomplished MAists. Two former champions. One of which is considered by many to be the GOAT. That is why so many scoff at this.

That said - I read somewhere that Silva clarified that Seagal refined the kick for him. (Tweaked it so to speak.) Not that he didn't know it before. I find that more plausible.

15. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

You're serious...lol!

you know...there is no difference between attempting and landing in the above context - there is no neglect in either case.

More importantly, there is no difference between those beautifully filmed, nearly professional choreograph quality front kicks as used in the highlight reels that we've grown accustomed to seeing and .... well, images of the same kicks as captured by equipment prior to the use of digitally enhanced post-production technology and advanced high-speed, muti-angled/panning cameras afforded by the Zuffa-era UFC.

You actually believe that kick warn't in use prior to Machida's UFC use, Silva's highlight reels and your street-fights?

[​IMG]

And those are the ones that you, as part of the American viewing audience, will be almost exclusively shown.

I must be missing something altogether. Sorry.

Silva/Machida are polite under these circumstances. Their cultural norms and the socio/politico environment of that moment as it occurs and the cameras dictate their responses.

But...Sports...let me ask...do you think their seeming indulgence indicative of what Seagal would apparently have us believe?

====================================

I can't help but wonder, what would've been the reactions of others...in a different time, a different era, differing social norms had Seagal came calling?

What would've Muhammad Ali's reaction have been under the same circumstances had Seagal walked into his boxing gym and attempted to teach Ali the "shuffle" or the "rope a dope" ?

I don't know...but I'd wager a tidy sum, that it'd be fun...

Foreman? Wouldn't say a word but the look on his face would speak volumes, lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  16. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

One of the first kicks learned in capoeira as well--just one of the striking arts that Silva learned in his youth. The kick is also in TKD and Muay Thai, of course. So your assertion that refinement is the most that Seagal can be given credit for seems the most likely--whatever 'refinement' meant to Silva at the time (for all I know it could have meant 'yeah, I just humored the guy').

17. Combat Sports

Yes. "lol".

I watch far more MMA then I should, and I rarely see Front kicks thrown. Other then the Machida and Silva use of them in some pretty high profile fights I am having a hard time off the top of my head thinking of any other times come to think about it. I am sure there are more but those are the only two that really rise to the front of my thinking.

Most of this analogy of yours is kind of... pointless. But that said, if that is what took place then why would Machida or Silva credit him at all? You go into this kind of wacked out psychoanalysis of people you have never met and we are apparently to believe your version that they were compelled to credit someone for no other reason then to be polite. Right... "lol".

Like I said, I am totally willing to go along with it. I have heard plenty of questionable things about Steven Segul from people who actually know him. In this instance though I see a lot of people seem to be going out of their way to invent Machida and Anderson's thoughts because it is what they would rather believe then that a Martial Artist they don't like could of done something useful for someone they do like.

18. Combat Sports

And that seems to be the "story" people want to tell with no evidence I have seen.

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Also worth pointing out Silva was doing this kick in the cage well before the Belfort fight and his link with Seagal

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014