G'Day

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mrerikd, Jan 29, 2013.

1. mrerikd

mrerikd New Member

Hi Folks

The names Erik. Stumbled acrosss this site recently and thought I might poke my head in.

Currently living in Brisbane and looking around for a place to get back into training. My background is full contact Tae Kwon Do and Karate. Though I have strayed into Jiu Jutsu, Nin Jutsu, Kick Boxing and Tai Chi on occasion. All up I've trained for about 10 years, though have been out of touch for a little while now.

Time to sharpen up!

Besides from MA, i'm into my cars (2006 Liberty STi, 1990 Nissan 300ZX, 1968 Mercedes 280SE), bikes (2006 Triumph Bonneville, 1989 GSXR 750), books, camping, music and whatever catches my attention at the time.

Enough about me. Hopefully I'll meet some of the locals around the place and if anyone knows of a decent place to train please let me know :)

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Welcomesauce!

3. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

Welcome! I know of a weights gym in Brisbane that's apparently really good to train at, but can't help you with a MA place, sorry.

4. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Welcome on board

Smurf

5. brisrocket

brisrocket Taekwondo instructor in Brisbane Australia

Brisbane TaeKwonDo Clubs

Howdy Eric. I train with the largest ITF TKD outfit in Brisbane, but must admit I've never seen full contact TKD here in Brissy. I assume this was WTF TKD you used to train in? Perhaps others may have a recommendation for this level of competition.

For the largest ITF club in Brisbane I recommend trying(Bai Rui Taekwondo). For WTF, I'd check out Tans Taekwondo (www.tans.com.au). Both clubs have good Masters and therefore good students.

Keep in touch mate. See you around the MAP.

6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Welcome to MAP!

7. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

welcome!

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome aboaord :)

Mitch

9. mrerikd

mrerikd New Member

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I've been looking around and might try my hand at Hapkido, or check out Gary O'Niels Kyokushin in Paddington.

Any advice?

10. marinevet63031

marinevet63031 Hapkido/Koryo Gumdo/TKD

Hello fella, welcome to the boards

11. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Welcome to MAP!

Osu!

Dan93

12. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Welcome to the mapness!

We share a very similar bike... mine is a Triumph America 2011, the basis of it is the Bonneville.

13. Daniel at UQTKD

Daniel at UQTKD New Member

For fitness and contact training, Kyokushin is the most reliable style I have found. I trained in TKD for 20 years now, but find it soooo frustrating when I travel to find a TKD club with a decent standard...I just go with Kyokushin or Wing Chun.

However, if you'd like a bit of cross training - traditional TKD with weapons defence and a street focus, the TKD club at the University of Qld is worth a look... www.uqtkd.org.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

welcome to map

15. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Welcome to MAP mate!

16. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Welcome to MAP! I lived in Brisbane a couple of years back, unfortunately that was before I started in MA, so I can't help you on that front. Good luck finding a club!

17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

It's really nice you guys are so welcoming, but you might be just a touch late for the party on this one ;).

18. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Dammit! I even checked. I thought a couple of months late wasn't too bad, but I missed the year.