An old question, Steven Segul and Machida/Anderson.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Sep 28, 2014.

1. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

^^^Ouch!

2. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

Bas Rutten going nuts.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70VCO062cUw"]Bas Rutten Talks Steven Segal and Anderson Silva - YouTube[/ame]

"We worked very hard on that kick" - Steven Seagal.

Andersson Silva is a 5th degree black belt in WTF Taekwondo.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

They have a point; they provide for entertainment - if for no one but myself. As does yours.

Besides, I did draw seperator lines to signify where the post goes off on a tangent from the essential point of the thread.

I usually don't bother to do that. You ought to consider yourself a special recipient for such.

We?...we...we?!? Who is "we"?

[​IMG]

No. No "we".

You.

You make it sound as if I jumped off the midnight train going through town last evening and have set up a corner on MAP selling gold-mine shares and snake oil bottles because I've suggested a rational explanation for Lyoto and Anderson's reluctance to forcefully eject Seagal and his entourage from their training facility.

There's no psychobabalry at play here. None needed. Its freaking common life experiences that enable us ( or should ) to look at something from a distance and find a plausible explanation for what one sees. People aren't "inventing thoughts" when they do that within understood bounds.

Some of the statements made by Anderson, at least, indicate a very low-key'd, even-toned contradiction to the claims made by Seagal.

Yes, polite. No dodgy psychobable there.

But you know, if it turns out differently...fine! I'm happy mate. I won't loose a penny.

Why? Because I'm not invested, financially nor emotionally, in what I think regarding it.

There's no "version" - just an opinion.

4. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

My new favourite word "psychobabalry"

Baza

5. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

And:

So something. Not nothing.

I am not saying either Machida or Anderson never did front kicks before. But "the little movement" is something that came in handy.

To be clear, I am not a Segul fanboy, and in fact have heard a lot of things to cast doubt on some of his bragging, what bothered me about this story is the people scrambling to invent motives for people like Machida crediting him, and presuming they could make excuses for the fact that they were hanging out. Segul showed them something useful. That doesn't suddenly mean that Segul is either of their "masters". But it also doesn't mean that they were just standing their humoring him.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  6. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

http://deadspin.com/5797691/on-steven-seagal-and-lyoto-machidas-absurd-crane-kick-knockout-of-randy-couture

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Can't speak to Machidas view, but as Silva was delivering an IDENTICAL kick in a fight two years earlier I think Anderson is being over generous for his own - probably PR/Agent related - reasons

Ironically I have been preaching the front kick gospel for years, in the same way I aim to #makekesasexy and now Josh Barnett and Rousey have vindicated me after years of people looking at my advocacy as a little quirk of mine

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

yep wouldnt be shocked to see both of those guys move into movies and starring alongside segal before long

Lets not pick apart your kesa arguement here again, lets save this thread for picking apart segal!

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

If you're going to advocate for the guy, Combat Sport, you might consider spelling his name correctly. Seagal.

I've actually made the argument in the past that Combat Sport makes here. I'm feeling less inclined to that view now. I do believe there was a PR angle to this. If Silva and Machida felt their front kick needed "tweaking," there are certainly more obvious trainers to tag in than Seagal. He has no competitive background, isn't known primarily for kicking, etc. His sole claim to fame is his former big screen presence and his current straight-to-video career. Outside of aikido circles, that is. So to me, it's perfectly credible that this has more to do with drawing connections with the entertainment world than it does with technical excellence in the ring.

I will acknowledge that, over the years, I've learned several significantly different versions of what's generally referred to as a "front kick." So it's perfectly feasible to me that, even given their previous backgrounds in other styles, a trainer might have something new to offer them in terms of landing that kick. But is "Seagal" really the first name that springs to mind when someone says "front kick" and "competition"?

Call it politeness. Call it PR. Call it career planning. Most of these guys are other considering retirement or close to it. And what's their next move? For many of them, if they haven't already, they'll be attempting to make the transition to the entertainment industry.

And there be Seagal.

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

An opinion on Seagull from someone who should know:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7axgMMnwV1I"]Ronda Rousey defends her "Uncle" Gene LeBell after Steven Seagal called him delusional - YouTube[/ame]

Look at her reaction when she talks about him teaching that kick. Says it all.

11. David Harrison

...clinging on by his fingernails.

I think they've taken some bad advice. I bet they're regretting it now.

12. David Harrison

Let's say that Seagal did teach them a small variation on the front kick they were already practicing. I'd say that is possible.

But would they really have trained it to the point whereby it was ingrained enough in their neuromuscular system that they would apply it in the middle of a fight?

How likely is that?

Which way is Occam's Razor shaving?

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'd agree with that. I imagine they've taken some serious ribbing about this over the last couple of years.

14. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

15. David Harrison

She fights in the UFC.

So she knows more about it than any of us.