Adductor injuries

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by FunnyBadger, Sep 27, 2014.

1. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Hopefully others have not had the same experiences as me but thought is throw it out there and see what advice/strategies people might have.

I have recently torn my hip adductor tendon (now for the 5th time), I have seen a GP and I'm waiting for a physio appointment next week. I have been given exercises from physios before that I have since adopted into my regular training in the hope that they help prevent injuries, that plan doesn't seem to have worked well however.

I can usually perform most exercise without any issues but I am aware that through the past injuries I may always have a damaged/weakened tendon and may just have to deal with that.

The injuries usually occur when doing explosive movements (most recently plyometric jumps) and so I avoid that kind of exercise usually. In a class environment though I attend to learn from my instructors and want to take their advice trusting in their knowledge and experience and my instructors often incorporate explosive training. It's not one of those classes where exceptions are made, it's an official military club on base run by NCOs and officers (I am an SAC = private) and there is a definate man up attitude to all injuries.

The coaches are not great listeners (putting that nicely) so when I said I can train but not do certain things that did not go down well. I don't know how to balance the risks between;
    1, waiting for it to heal up completely (3-6 months) then training as usual but risking future injuries.
    2, waiting for it to heal enough then doing what i can but annoying the instructors
    3, not training but missing out on free, good quality boxing training that I can get time out of work to do

I'm not expecting any magical solutions (though that would be nice :) ) and I will wait until I have seen a physio before I do anything but if any one has any experience of a similar issue I'd love to hear from you.

Apologies for wall of text lol

2. BiGF00T

BiGF00T New Member

I had a similar problem and I have stopped doing things like Pubu on one side. It has been two years and it never became very good because I nearly didn't use the leg. My instructor didn't have anything against it that I stood there not participating during some exercises but in the end (after more than a year), I found that only doing stuff on one side has made me rather unbalanced in muscle mass.

Looking back, I'd say that I should have rested my legs (both) for some time without any training and then slowly build up strength equally for both legs. I always thought my injury was still bad but I guess it was in fact the lack of strength in my leg that made my leg inflexible when stretching.

My advice is to stop doing extreme stuff until the injury is completely healed and then start slowly recovering both sides. 2) is the option I guess.

3. FunnyBadger

Cheers for the advice there Bigfoot. It's so frustrating not being able to train properly, I think "slowly" getting back into it is something I struggle with lol

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'd go somewhere between 1) and 2) personally. It may annoy your instructors, but realistically you have to take care of your health if they won't take yours into account.

5. FunnyBadger

Cheers lemonsloth, I figure it's just go with what the physio says for a while untill It feels ok then train but take it easy with anything risky.

6. FunnyBadger

Hi folks just a quick update here, I saw a physio today and she thought I had been the right things, she has given me some more exercises and thinks it should heal up fine before too long :)

Unfortunately she recommended I give boxing a break for a few weeks :( I do have permission to train upper body so weights and speedball for a while, at least I can do something lol.

Cheers again for the input folks.

7. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I've been in the doc's orders v. coach/sensei's orders situation. Best to follow doctor's orders with issues like yours. Last time I had surgery, it was ~2 months no training whatsoever, then a few months easing back into it while the scarring healed inside. It's going to be MISERABLE, but it's smart to follow doc's orders in the long run. All the best to you! :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  8. BiGF00T

BiGF00T New Member

Not training something sometimes requires more willpower than forcing oneself to train. Take it as a self restraint exercise ;)

Do whatever you can do and don't aim too high after recovery. You'll be faster in the long run.

9. FunnyBadger

Hi there folks just another update.

Saw the physio again today and she's well pleased with the progress. I now have permission to train lower body, abs and run :) It still needs some time before I'm back to 100% but I should be ok to box again next week as long as I take it slow :)

On a side note my physio is insane. Semi supported side planks ? One leg resting on top of a weights bench and the other underneath it held straight out for a minute, doesn't sound that hard but it's horrific ! Obviously there are a lot more things a body can do that I was previously aware of ...

10. BiGF00T

BiGF00T New Member

Physios have the most insane exercises. When I went there, I was sure I was pretty much well trained. But they find your weak spot and let you do exercises in which you nearly don't move (or like plank, where you don't move at all) but in which you suck so much that you feel like an idiot.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Rest it, physio it, and only then train, since the class isnt run safely make sure your good to go before going back.

12. FunnyBadger

Tis what I have done :) still not 100% but getting there. I am currently shadow boxing and working bags without any issues but still holding back on sparring until it's fully healed.

13. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

rehab versus waiting for the pain to go away

Funny thing is that people don't really understand the injury or healing process that well.

Most things heal fairly quickly. We can stitch someone's face up and they can be back on the pitch playing rugby in 10-14 day. Lots of tissues that have good circulation do just fine. Some that are are less well perfused (getting blood) do ok but take longer.

The thing it that people mistake pain with damage. If you do any sort of grappling/joint locking type of art you can see that things can be painful without having any substantial amount of damage. If you pull your finger backwards it hurts. If you get injured and things heal up they often are left with tightness and the tissues continue to tighten as the injury matures (which can take up to a year or more). Pain will last with stretching to the end of a movement until it is fully stretched out. You need to keep up with the training regime long after you no longer have pain.

I am coming off rupturing my posterior cruciate ligament and straingin (grade 2) my medial collateral ligament and I have been playing rugby again now for about 10 games. I know that without strapping it will hurt so I will protect it until it is fully stretched out and my strength is back to near normal levels. That being said I am still out training 4-5 days a week at various things and I am playing a game every weekend.

If you keep getting re-injured maybe you have never been fully recovered or perhaps you have never fully rehabilitated before you went back to heavy training. Do you have a clearly laid out program to recover both your fexibility adn your strength? I think that stretching post injury needs to be done at least 3-4 times a day for a while to get the tissues to have more normal flexibility...

Does any of this rambling make sense?

LFD