2015 Resolutions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Simon, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

1. Get this fight in March done.

2. 4 fights next year

3. Make an effort with uni

None of those require anything particularly strenuous or difficult save getting off my backside. Its nice really. First year in a while I can look forward and not really have anything to worry about. As it stands right now, the next year is looking very exciting :)

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If you lose in March, you're getting deported to the Falklands to be a sheep farmer.

3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

My resolution is to win another title and run a totally awesome session at the 2015 Map Meet! :D

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I completely forgot about the meet so that means I have to add another one:

4. Try not to completely embarrass myself taking a session in front of black belts and actual instructors :p

5. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

For me I have 4 main resolutions

1, Get divorced

2, learn to drive

3, learn to kick

4, not injure myself (badly enough to miss training anyway-niggles are inevitable)

In no particular order or anything and I dont predict for a minute that I will keep all of them, won't stop me trying though :)

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't mind the idea of resolutions. Sure, you can make promises to yourself anytime. But that's an argument FOR resolutions as much as against them. Besides, anything that adds extra weight and gravity to a commitment (regardless of how arbitrary it really is) can help.

With that in mind...

Martial arts related:

None. It's official. I need a kidney transplant. Imminently. So martial arts are a nonstarter from here on out. At least in any way that I'm interested in practicing martial arts.

Non martial arts related:

In no particular order: Write something meaningful. Make major/necessary changes to my job. Learn to make sushi. Eat sushi. (Those two probably ARE in a particular order.) Exercise more. Stress less. Move house.

7. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Hoping for the best for you with the medical transplant, ap.

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Anything I'm about to say seems extremely trivial compared with the health issues referred to by Bozza, Van Zandt and Ap Oweyn, so I've got to start by saying that I wish you all the very best with those. And Simon on the job front. And everyone else too, of course.

-------------------------------

Now, I have always loathed new year resolutions. As has been said before, if you really want to do something then you should be doing it anyway. But having failed to do nearly as much as I had planned in 2014, (while at the same time achieving a few things that I hadn't really planned!) I feel in my bones that it might be a good idea to make some resolutions as a way of focussing my mind.

1. Start getting enough sleep. I look like a panda right now and feel permanently exhausted. This has to start TONIGHT, not on January the 1st.

2. Get my second business up and running. I'm going to have to re-balance my time between the new one and the existing one, and that feels like the biggest challenge right now.

3. Run my first marathon. I was originally planning to work up to this in 2016, but I feel that I've made such good improvements lately that I want to just keep building that momentum through to it's logical conclusion. I've got a couple of half marathons scheduled in the early part of the year and I'm going to add at least one more. After that I'll start my actual marathon training, builing up towards the Yorkshire Marathon in October.

4. Get at least two rooms in the house finished. I had planned to do so much in 2014, but the only project I actually finished was a new ceiling in the cellar. (Having pulled the old one down in 2013!)

5. Spend more time practising my Taiji. It seems to be the thing that makes way for everything else at the moment, and I know that I will feel better all round when I am practising more every day. It's a vicious circle when I feel burnt-out and stressed about time-pressure, so then I skip practise and feel worse.

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

1) Ditto. My middle got soft in my old age, and wife is commenting on it. OUCH. That hurts. :cry:

2) Develop a consistent meditation habit, emphasis on consistent, as in every single day. I haven't been consistent at all, yet I'm at the point where I totally appreciate the benefits of it on the mat and in the rest of life, both.

3) Do a dozen pullups/chinups again, at one time.

10. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Talk less, listen more.

11. narcsarge

I have an old friend who suffers from Crohn's disease. Best of luck to you sir!

12. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

2015 Goals....so far....

1) Lose 30 pounds or so, so I can move around better when rolling. I plan to accomplish this by tapering off use of sugary beverages, and ensuring a reasonably healthy nutrition profile for my meals.

2) Get a stripe or two on my blue belt. This I cannot control the literal act of, but I plan on working harder than ever so that if I do accomplish this, I'll feel like I earned it.

3) Do some artwork. I'm going to have a 30 minute to hour long sketch session most days going forward in hopes that it will rekindle the creativity I had when I was an art student.

4) Select and begin learning a programming language. This is something I'm planning to spend most of my weekend down-time on.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Cheers mate!

Mine is thankfully quite mild...but it still a pain in the ****! :)

14. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

Help the family. So many troubles and hard stuff going in the family right now. I am constantly tired and depressed so I haven't done that much. I am writing a letter for my dad tomorrow though. Thats a small step.

I want to do more.

15. narcsarge

You are blessed then mate! This gent weaned himself off all his meds as they were killing him and he couldn't function at his craft (owner of his own auto re upholstery shop). He said the drugs were worst then his disease. The man used to be a powerlifter and was barely able to get through a regular 8 hour day.

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

My goals for this year are pretty much the same as last year, as I didn't achieve any of them.

Mine are mainly training related and are pretty much identical to last year, because injury prevented me achieving them.

I need to work more consistently at SMR, mobility and flexibility.
    I want to try to stay injury free - which will mean listening to my body when it starts to develop aches and pains!
    I want to really improve my conditioning.

Lifting wise I'd like...

2x bodyweight deadlift/sumo deadlift
    1.5+ bodyweight squat
    Bodyweight powerclean and/or hang clean
    Bodyweight floor press/reduced range bench and (shoulder willing) full bench
    A 60 second advanced frogstand and the beginnings of a tuck planche

Get my bodyweight down below 112lbs

Complete the 12 hour team relay race in May without dying!

Get back to other sports I enjoy (including bouldering and, possibly, horse riding).

Start regularly landing 180s snowboarding. Do another park night and get better with boxes and kickers.

Lifewise, I need to sort out my career goals and aspirations. I've been coasting through life for the last couple of years. I've had a job I'm way over qualified for, but I like the people I work with and the job is pretty easy. However, recently a situation has arisen with a colleague who, whenever she does something wrong, or things don't go her way, tries to make out it's my fault and the management seem to be pandering to her on a ridiculous level. It seems that because she is union and happy to threaten them and lie about stuff, they are going to let her get away with her behaviour. Frankly, this is making me stressed out of my tree and very unhappy in work. I've just been given a promotion and she applied for the same job and didn't get it (because she doesn't have a degree or any research experience) and is kicking off again. I'm currently updating my Linkedin profile and starting to look round for another job, because it seems that she is happy to make my life hell every time she feels annoyed about things.

Maybe this will be for the good and I'll get a job that is more appropriate for my background, but I hate it when the people who are prepared to lie and threaten get away with their behaviour and everyone else in a team is supposed to make allowances for them.

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Frodo,

Punch her in the nose.

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

You have no idea how close I've come to it. On Thursday we had a pipe go in the cold room next to us and, whilst everyone else was running round trying to move data boxes off the floor as the flood spread through the room, she was standing there eating her lunch, watching the water spread and taking photos for her Facebook and Twitter pages! I am so mad (and upset) right now that I would happily take a prison sentence for assault!

19. embra

embra Valued Member

Keep going with what I did in 2014:- vastly improved diet, got to 70% of all available European Wudang TaiJiQuan seminars and camps, had a decent go at Senzala Capoiera; resulting in at least a couple of inches loss round my 55 year old waist.

What I would like to add in 2015:- more self development on upper and lower body power, conditon and co-ordination. Where possible, get back to some FMA and Baguazhang again, as these have been missing for a while.

@Bozza, try Probiotic supplements. 1 Bio-chemist did explain to me that leaky guts were responsible for a lot of ailments in western society e.g. Chrons, Ulcers etc; and that probiotics provide the required bacteria. I experiment with diet and supplements quite a bit. I dont suffer from anything obvious like Chrons or Ulcers, but I did try Probiotics this year 2014, with an apparrent increase in flushing my insides out and a distinct weight losss throughout the whole year.

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I automatically hate anyone in any kind of union. It's like I have an allergic reaction to assh-.... not nice people. Generally I find people in unions are the laziest, most vocal employees in an organisation. Doesn't matter the industry it seems.