I need good workout routine for an off-season martial artist

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by LeaFirebender, Dec 17, 2014.

1. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

Hey guys! I haven't posted on this forum for a long time, but I am back now with a question. Basically, right now there isn't much in the way of options for me to train martial arts :( I'm trying to stay in shape in the mean time, but I'm really bad at working out when I'm not at a dojo or part of a team or something of that nature. Do you guys have any ideas on a good workout routine for one who's hoping to (eventually) get back into martial arts? I specifically hope to train BJJ one day if I get the chance, or if not at least return to Hapkido or Taekwondo...

Thanks in advance. Best wishes for the holiday season :D

~ Lea

2. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

These are my favorite questions, there are tons of good routines you can do at home that will improve your MA or keep you fit to practice martial arts.

I would suggest useing this template.

Warm up and stretching/ you should know how to do this, Id say ten to twenty minutes of this.

1. strength training. 1-12 sets. so you could do 3 sets push ups, three sets pull ups, and three sets dumbell curls or you could do six sets push ups and six sets shoulder press, dosent matter just do 1-12 sets of something ok.

2.Cardio 1-4 sets. each set no longer than two minutes. shadow box, jumping jack, cardio kick, overhead arm clap what ever.

3.core.2-4 sets dont exceede two minutes each set, work the front and back so if you do sit ups then also do bend and reach ok.

4. shadowbox, 1-4 sets. you know how to do these try for two minutes each set.

if you feel like it you can ride exorcize bike or jog for 20-30 minutes after or before you do workout. then eat right not like some kind of idiot
    Also you can mix it up ok, like this.

1.strength-2 sets push ups
    2.cardio-cardio kick two minutes
    3.strength-pull ups, two sets of two
    4.core-situps two min. windmills two min
    5.strength. dumbell curls/dumbell press
    6.shadow box. two minute rounds x2

Many variations of this routine you can use.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjP50SOwK4"]33 Solo Grappling BJJ Drills in 7 Minutes - Jason Scully - YouTube[/ame]

Some good solo drills

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Its hard to answer unless we know what you are weak at and wanting to improve
    For example Cheddarz 7 min clip is great if you want to work grappling solo drills, but if your strength levels are bad and need improving its not really useful
    Likewise if its conditioning you are looking to improve 5,3,1 would be a poor choice, what exactly are you looking to do? What does in shape mean to you

More importantly what do you actually like doing, as prescribing a workout routine comprising of things you hate doing would mean certain failure lol

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

6. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

This sounds lame, but really I just want to stay in shape. :whistle: Most of what I've had experience with is conditioning, but I'm open to strength training. That's really why I'm here asking the question: I have no idea what I want to do :p

7. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Hey Lea, thanks for posting. I am by no means a professional strength trainer but I have been working out for years, power lifting, weight lifting and cardio conditioning Ive gotten results in all three areas. Over the years Ive looked at several books, manuals and programs and the best one for me by far was called wrestleing for dummies, written by an American medalist in the sport.
    I had already designed my own program at the time I found his book, never the less I was able to incorporate some of his program into my own and I found it to be extremely helpful in my own weight lifting endeavors.
    One thing that I guess gets often over looked when guys are talking to girls about strength training (or to anyone for that matter) is yoga. Yoga is a great strength building activity that helps more with flexibility than anything else I have ever done.
    Hope you find what your looking for.

8. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Well we really need to know your goals and access to equipment. That will allow for proper program design.

If your goal is general fitness maintenance for when you get back to martial arts then a mix of strength training and cardio is good either separately or by doing circuits.

So what is your goal and what materials do you have (gym membership, yoga mat, dumbbells, big open indoor space, etc)? After I know that then I can recommend a program or help you design one.

9. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i agve some advice to wildlings in this thread. maybe you'll find it useful too :)