UFC to be sue'd

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Will be interesting how this happens, apparently the biggest lawsuit to go through.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Given the Fertitta brothers historical relationship to organized crime is it any wonder that their business would be managed in the manner that is alleged? Not really.

3. Mushroom

Like any fight business to be fair. ;)

You can't be that big without some dodgy dealings some where in the works.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The video game bit at least I've seen complaints about before. Be interesting to see where this goes.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Could bring down the organisation and then everyone loses.

6. Mushroom

A lot of fighters had in their contracts stating that Zuffa has perma/semi perma rights to their images for games. Obviously a lot of fighter's didn't like that. However this came from mid-tier guys.
    The top 10's didn't really mention, but then again, they're in the top 10 and may have kept quiet to keep their place.

Essentially people want more money. But will be interesting to see what the specifics are, what contracts were signed etc.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

True that and it's all part and parcel with Las Vegas I guess. :D

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The UFC's monopoly on MMA is a double-edged sword. It can arrange the fights fans want to see and which are good for the sport, thereby avoiding the circus we usually see in boxing (e.g. Mayweather vs Pacquiao). But the UFC also holds all the fighters over a barrel and it isn't uncommon to hear numerous fighters complain about financial hardship (to which the UFC usually responds by blaming the fighter's poor money management skills for their problems). I suppose these issues are to be expected in sport and any other results-based business ("the better you are, the more you earn"). I think MMA is in a great place right now - mostly thanks to the efforts of the UFC - so I wonder what effect this lawsuit is going to have on the sport's direction.

9. Mushroom

They've now listed a few names involved in the suit.
    Cung Le, Nate Quarry and unsuprisingly Jon Fitch. There's possibly more to come, main complaint is that essentially Zuffa has squashed as many potential rivals as they can.
    The problem I think is that the brand is so strong, that if you were fighting in (lets say) BAMMA, but then get a offer for UFC...who would you choose?

Personally I don't think UFC has a monopoly. In a legal wording sense anyway, as there are promotions out there, but don't have the money to match UFC. Simply because they were first.

Pride fell due to exposed Yakuza connections and extremely dodgy dealings. $65million deal but turned out all contracts were illegal and all Zuffa got was a video catelogue of fights.

Affliction sunk all their money with M1 Global and was constantly hanging by a thread.

Elite XC was done essentially to potential fight fixing and also sinking their money mostly on Kimbo Slice and also having no backers and sponsors.

I'm wondering if Wandy is also in this suit. He has been very anti Zuffa and their accounting ways.

Zuffa claims that they've actually yet to be served with anything yet though.

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm goi'ng to ba'n everyo'ne involve'd in thi's offensi've thre'ad.

Mi'tch :D

11. Mushroom

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/new...-initial-impression-of-UFC-class-action-suit/

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Cung Le isn't a surprise. Completely forgot Quarry fell out with the ufc though. Fitch is the one I've heard of having problems with the video games and his termination was a little eyebrow raising. There's got to be more than them though. They seem a weird trio to get together for something like this.

14. Mushroom

Its just the initial. I won't be surprised if the guys from Affliction or Elite XC be involved.
    Le claims he was involved before the whole suspension, which is interesting, because if he won against Bisping and didn't have the drug testing issue, then what would be his position?

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I have money on Tito Ortiz and the Diaz brothers being in there too.