I'm blind, I'm blind! (I think I need specs)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bozza Bostik, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I think I need glasses. I'm getting old. I also need hair dye and a toupee, but we'll adress those later.

My eyes get really blurry through the day until I can't read small print (looking at the keyboard now and all the letters on the keys are blurred). I also seem to have a lot of headaches.

How do I know if I need reading glasses or proper full on ones for using all the time? I really don't trust the eye people...I am paranoid they'll rip me off and tell me I need corrective eye surgery. Or sell me something I don't need, when I just need to sleep more or something.

Also if anyone wants to post amusing pictures of toupees and glasses that would be nice.

2. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Wish i could offer advice mate but i have no skill, experience or qualification in this arena. Go to the eye people mate, they know what they're doing.

Baza

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You definitely need something. Vision Express is the best place I've been to. Don't go to small independent opticians.

They'll tell you exactly what you need. They won't sell you anything that you don't need. They will probably try and get you to buy more expensive pairs of glasses but you can still go for the cheapest option without hassle. I reccomend the insurance though.

4. Bozza Bostik

Thanks fellas!

Chadderz - It's a bit out of my way I am afraid! I can't even afford the glasses at the moment, let alone the flight! :)

5. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

If it is just close up, reading work then try a cheap pair of reading glasses. Any drug store, grocery store, Walmart will have them. I used them for years until I started having issues with seeing thing at a distance. Now, I have to wear glasses or contacts unless I am sparring.

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Can't say I experienced the same.
    My ophthalmologist told me (some years ago) that I would need glasses.
    A year later I went to a local optician for check-up and the first thing he told me afterwards was: You really don't need those glasses anymore, get rid of them.

Will be interesting, what the optician will tell me next year. Ugh.

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

here are some glasses with toupees on them:

[​IMG]

8. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

They won't recommend corrective eye surgery until your eye sight stabilize, by the sounds of it your eyes are just beginning to deteriorate old man. :evil:

They shouldn't be recommending any sort of surgery unless they find something urgent, in which case its probably a good thing.

Once you have a prescription, shop online! I got my current glasses for 20$. If i buy at my locol optometrist im looking at minimum 400$.

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-online-glasses-stores-1603858245

Good luck.

9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Its your dogs I'm worried about. The freak, 're they wearing?

Take it from someone who knows glasses.

I can have you and your dogs seeing better in no-time

[​IMG]

Seriously, the headaches ... not normal. You should be seen by an ophthalmologist.

10. Flatfish

Flatfish New Member

Somebody already mentioned it above. As long as your prescription is not something super complicated you can request those numbers from your Doc and shop online. You can find glasses as cheap as 20 bucks. I found out this year that I need progressive lenses. That's a more complicated thing and not something you order online. 700 bucks later I still only had one pair of glasses and no sunglasses yet. I ordered those online without the pressive reading thing at the bottom and they turned out just fine.....the only problem is I can't see what I'm doing tying on a fly when wearing them :)

11. Bozza Bostik

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I think I'll book an appointment for Friday and get it over and done with. I'll go and see one of them proper eye doctors so they can check for...that stuff they check for.

Erm...yeah, I have a "thing" about eyes; anything to do with eyes, especially mine, freaks me out a little bit.

Wonder if I can get some retro 3D glasses but with proper lenses in!!!

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

In for later reading (with specs or a monocle in)!