WJJF

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Prizewriter, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP and thank you for clarifying.

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

First off - I'm not trying to be an (smart)ass here, it's honestly only a question (I never heard of WJJF and had to google it):

I'm just wondering, shouldn't the training and it's quality not be more up the instructor?
    We have some associations here as well, which have a mixed reputation regarding self-defense (even though they claim to do it), but that doesn't mean, that you can't find very good schools there too.

Is that really different with the WJJF, or is it just a case of: Way more likely to find a "bad" club?

(Since we also have associations with a bad reputation where it's nearly a miracle to find someone competent, I'd like to point out again: Honest question. Not trying to be an ass ^^)

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Well you are obviously a troll, I find it very hard to believe that......

Chadderz has any friends. :D

Welcome to MAP.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Cheers man :)

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

WJJF is very, very patchy and the chances of finding a bad instructor far outweigh the chances of finding a good

My WJJF instructor back in the day was actually very good, but he was also very critical of stuff he called "syllabus" work. It helped he was a kickboxer of course because he was used to mixing it up

6. moffatt

moffatt New Member

I am guessing calling me a troll is a joke :) if anyone want me to provide what I said I will happily :)
    In my opinion the WJJF is like any other martial art in which the quality of instructors varies however with a very rigid curriculum and the way in which instructor are trained it is very difficult to find a good instructor and I only see the quality decreasing.
    After seeing the standard of students that gain black belts and go on to teach it is disconcerting and everything beneficial I learnt was taken off the syllabus. The more this is not taught the greater chance it has of dying out.
    When I was getting ready for my black belt it was more important for me to that my instructor to put me forward for it as I knew as see as he was happy for me to I would pass.

7. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Welcome! I must admit, I'm quite relieved that you're confirming that you trained with the WJJF rather than my former association, as I was somewhat worried for a while there!

Glad to hear that you've found an art (or several) that you enjoy, and hopefully you'll be happy to bring the benefit of your experience to this site when beginners are looking for somewhere to train.

8. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, he's already trained some good places since starting with me! He's for his eyes on fighting next year too ;)

9. Grazza

Grazza New Member

WJJF Syllabus

I think moffat has nailed it there. The syllabus is very restrictive and if thats all you learnt there would be too much missing in your basics. If your sensei only follows this i can see why there would be critisism

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Technical repertoire within a syllabus is one thing but the driving force behind it all is the training methodology, if that sucks then you are fighting a losing battle.

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Okay, I'm too stupid to find it - can someone link me an example of the syllabus?
    You guys made me curious ^^

12. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Which thread on Bullshido gave you an impression of that consensus? Unless TJF has changed a lot in the ten years or so since I trained in it I'd never suggest anyone go there to learn how to fight.

13. moffatt

moffatt New Member

Thanks for the welcome I did enjoy my training before but you don't know what you don't know. I love my training now and deffinitly have an eye on fighting next year.
    I can give example of the syllabus if you want but there is no link like everything in the wjjf you have to buy it.
    Because of health and safety and the people attracted to wjj a lot of people only know syllabus so could not teach anything else if they want to.

14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Interesting, sounds a bit like the association I had to think about, that has that bad reputation over here.
    All about money and a lot of talk, how awesome they are and how you can defeat everyone, if you only go to them...

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vc5lPvZ_Vf4[/ame]

16. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Looking earlier today, I may well have been mistaken. I was remembering a few posts badly out of a lot more which are critical. Some of the criticisms I'd agree with, others I wouldn't.

17. nigelnire

nigelnire Valued Member

You can say that again ,not sure where you train but the WJJf Ireland Syllabus is gigantic and also includes learning anatomy and Japanese . Ten belts should really be 7-8 but more belts £££

http://www.jujitsuireland.com/syllabus.aspx

Ok a few thoughts from me, I never met the late Soke Robert Clarke but he is venerated in WJJF circles, I have heard he was a humble man with a sense of humour If so he was certainly not like some of the leading lights I have met who have huge egos.
    Not sure how much sparing there is in England but there is Sparing in Northern Ireland especially at national grades Blue-Brown belt and depending on your club hard hitting pad work.
    Re The techniques and their application in a street fight situation from my experience of red mist drink fuelled attackers I think you would get badly beaten at worse killed if they had a knife using some but not all of the techniques . Throws like drawing ankle ,spring hip ,dropping version of a body drop to name a few or many of the sacrifice throws would be useless in a street confrontation. Brown belt includes silly one arm throws, If you lose the power of an arm Run !!
    Other moves like leg sweeps ,Inside and outside Hock , knee wheel ,half shoulder or Body drop if grabbed from behind could work well provided you move fast and hit hard.
    My own sensei was very good but I would wonder how some would fair in a street confrontation against a big guy in the bar or on the street out of his head and out to bash their skull in.

18. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Whenever I hear someone who expresses doubt that their sensei or teacher or whatever could or could not beat some random drunkard I get a warm, fuzzy feeling about my training. I have no such doubts in my teachers. :]

19. nigelnire

nigelnire Valued Member

I didn't say my sensei I said I wonder how some others would fair on the street? I suspect most would fair ok there are some excellent sensei's in the WJJF but others with huge egos may not , in part because they may have too much confidence in their own ability and try to be flash for example or underestimate what they are up against.

20. Pretty In Pink

I have 100% faith my instructor would wreck everyone in a street fight. I still reckon he'd smash more than a few pros. You can call it bias or whatever, but he's amazing at martial arts.