Question

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by maressa, Nov 24, 2014.

1. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Do JKD instructors try to find what works best for each student as an individual like Bruce Lee stated was the purpose of JKD or is there a standard training program for the class? As you can tell I'm a total idiot when it comes to JKD.

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I would hope that a good teacher does this for every student, regardless of style (or, in this case, no-style)...

3. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

You would think. Some use the one size fits all method.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

They aren't mutually exclusive

Take something like a jab - everyone throws it differently but it is still a jab; a lead hand punch. As a coach you teach them the concepts and theories and then find out how they can best throw a jab.

I give them the tools in the toolbox and teach them how to use them....some will be carpenters, some plumbers and some demolition experts!

5. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

I get that you can teach variations on techniques and adapt the technique to the student but would you give every student the same basic technique though? Is there a set syllabus of techniques or would you teach different material to people depending on their abilities/requirements? I know these things may well vary a lot between clubs/instructors and between groups within the JKD community but is JKD made up of defined material?

Sorry if that seems like a stupid question but it's something I've wondered for a while.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yes it is....and no it isnt

There is Jun Fan Gung Fu, which DOES have a set array of techniques, and JKD which is the personal expression oart. Often there is an argument for "expression within the context of Jun Fan", which is not really what Bruce intended

In my organisation and in my club (related but separate) there is a syllabus for various leveks and ranks. This is seen as the minimum and is not exclusive of anything else I may see fit to add

The jab example is best illustrated with a comparison of Ali and Frazier. Both jabs, both follow the same principles but both very different

For the level 1 in my Association we have 5 types of jab. Only 2 may be ones you like, but that doesnt mean the other 3 wouldnt be a better fit for my students so I have to know it

7. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Did Bruce Lee say JKD should only be taught in small groups? that way you can work individually with people,I seem to remember in one of Dan Inosantos early books he talked about how Bruce would give them all individual training programmes,Iknow from my experience its hard to teach Muay Thai to a large group of people especially if they are all at different levels:)

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I too prefer smaller groups because it's easier to coach personal development.

Recently I had a 21 year old Karate black belt come to my class and I changed her stance. Nothing major, but she found it totally changed her power delivery and balance.

She was surprised because she'd never been in a class that focused on individual development.

I also have a very experienced male student who trains at another school and came to me to top up his training.

I made a change to his thai kicks and he also was surprised and how it changed his game.

Now while large schools will also have their methods for personal development, I do feel they cannot coach individually like those of us with smaller classes.

9. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I've trained in both a JF/JKD school and a concepts school and that's an area that has always confused me.

What do you believe Lee's intention was?

10. Simon

Hannibal will give a better explanation on Lee's intentions, but for me it's about foundation first, then exploration and self expression.

I have no problem teaching beginners, but do enjoy senior students with some sort of foundation coming in to class and being able to make small adaptations and changes to their way of thinking.

That isn't so much because of my JKD background, as we all know you can have a change of thinking after being punched on the nose from a newby white belt.

I've gone back to JKD and to an instructor who has a very good Jun Fan understanding because it's the Jun Fan I want to explore more.

This is because there is a gap, or "cause of ignorance" in this section of my martial arts understanding.

Walk on.

11. Simon

I think it's very difficult to explain, as guys who cross train, question, examine, break down and re-structure could be said to be doing JKD, however, my Instructor said this on Thursday, "Oh you do JKD, okay, show me Bruce Lee's leg lock series".

Martial Arts, completely obvious while being confusing at the same time.

The circle with no circumference.

12. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Thanks.

See, As well as hearing a lot of different ideas that confused the heck out of me*, the arguments and debates you read and hear in the JKD world never interested me that much during my short JKD days...as long as I was getting good instruction on how to punch someone in the eye or kick them in the plums that's all that mattered.

*Edit: Funny I wrote and posted that then saw your next post!

13. JKDbyNik

JKDbyNik Valued Member

I feel there is some common ground. First, I should say that I personally feel that JKD (Not Jun Fan) is more about a process which is 90% education and 10% simplification. Meaning we learn all kinds of things from all kinds of systems/arts/styles..then look back at it thru the JKD filter and modify for our personal use with the guidance of JKD Principles.

So as I teach my beginner students, I teach a foundation of techniques. Proper punching, kicking, footwork, trapping, grappling, weapons etc etc. As they become more proficient, I then teach them to individualize their info for themselves. So a 5'5" 150lb person isn't trying to mimic a 6'8" 270lb person. They will ultimately not be the same at first glance.