Disgraphia.

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by bodyshot, Nov 23, 2014.

1. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Has anyone ever heard of this and does anyone suffer from it.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I've heard of it to in combination with dyslexia. But that's about it.

3. bodyshot

Yes thats right Fusen, it is with/like Dyslexia. its pretty crazy.

4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Only just spotted this thread today.

Dysgraphia is the name given to poor handwriting associated with Dyspraxia. Dyspraxaia is related to Dyslexia. it shares many things with Dyslexia such as difficulties with short and working memory, fragile concentration and difficulty maintaining focus.

What distinguishes Dyspraxia from Dyslexia is that people with Dyspraxia have specific difficulty with mapping three dimensional relationships in space. This results in poor hand eye coordination and difficulties in both gross and fine motor-skills. It is this difficulty with fine motor skills that results in poor handwriting - Dysgraphia.

Why do you ask?

5. bodyshot

Oh it was just a question, I have a friend that was said to have this.

6. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Apologies for slight hijack of the thread here but on a slightly related topic Does any one else have problems writing things down ? I have no problem controlling a pen, the motor skills are not the problem but my dyslexia means that I often get word confused. When I write things down I know what I want to write but my hand writes other words. It's quite often I have this problem I would say around 1 word in each sentence perhaps 1 word in 2 sentences.

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

This a common problem for the dyslexia spectrum. It is likely that this arises from an overload in the memory system, either in the working memory or in the transfer of information between the working and short term memory's.

One way to attempt to address this is to do less things at a time. the working memory gets overloaded when you try to do to many things at once. Try putting ideas in bullet points rather than whole sentences. this allows you to concentrate on getting ideas out of your head and onto the paper. Once you have the ideas out you can then convert the bullet points into sentences.

this takes more time in the short term. but in the medium to long term it saves a lot of time in error checking and in re-writing.