2015 Resolutions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Simon, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's that time of year when you make those promises to yourself that fail within the first week of January.

So what is your new year resolutions for 2015 and what is it this year that is going to make you keep the promise to yourself?

Here is a reminder of what some of you said in 2013.

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Resolutions:
    1). Be less fat.
    2). Get into the cage for the first time.

I think the threat of achieving my second goal will help keep me on track for achieving my first goal.

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I second that :D
    I'm not actually fat anymore, but I want to get rid of the rest of my wobbly tummy as well ;)

2) Find out, if to quit Hapkido and if so find something new, so I finally get my 5 trainings sessions/ week.

Since I don't need to lose much weight anymore (most work is done already), it should be doable without too much pressure, so that should work out.
    The second point is a tad more difficult; I try to make that decision for weeks now lol

But in general I try to make my changes in life independently from New Year, otherwise nothing would work out for me xD

4. Simon

I plan some big changes going into 2015.

After 26 years I'm under the threat of redundancy.

I'm happy about it, but my boss and his boss are fighting to keep me because no-one else can do my job.

If I get redundancy I'll leave as soon as I can, if not I'll look to get out as soon as I can.

This will put a stop to a 120 round trip to work, ridiculously long day, calls at home etc.

Time to take a job closer to home, normal working hours and the chance to claim my life back.

The other big change is to start a new class.

I may do this on my own, but have started some very preliminary talks about opening a school under my current instructor.

The difference between this and other failed resolutions is this is all a definite.

The family is behind me changing jobs and I'm fully focused on both that and the new classes.

2015. Bring it.

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

my goal is to compete in two ibjjf bjj competitions next year. there are several ancillary goals: train bjj consistently, maintain proper weight, do more drilling at home, do more weights at home. but all those goals lead into the big one: 2 comps.

6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Super simple plan but gonna be hard to do; get more control over my Crohn's disease through diet (trying various diets/foods, avoid cheating / only eating "safe" cheats and monitoring the effects) and get back to capoeira.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  7. Simon

All the best with this, Bozza.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Rehab my achilles tendon back to 100% (or as close as I can get it), recover my oversplits (I lost them after 2 months in a cast), sort out my right hip (which might include a decision on having it replaced too), and finally get a part in film/TV - be that as an extra or whatever. Just want to start getting as much experience as I can. Normally I go in depth in my goal setting, but I'm keeping it simple because injuries are cropping up all the time at the minute and I don't want to get depressed.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Resolution.

Actually retire from competition :). I've just been asked if I'm interested in a comp in January and March.
    Though recent illness/injury, I'm walking around at 90kg+ and no training, so January is a miss.
    Though March will be interesting, considering the ruleset I've been asked. So watch this space. I got unfinished business and that's my vice. I never leave things unfinished.

Right now, all I want to do is train and not be ill, not be injured. Work my way up to maybe start coaching. And actually enjoy doing stuff.

I need to move to bigger, better, happier times. I'm not on a downer but a new environment is definately on the cards.

10. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I want to try to be smarter with my training, and more focused.

Basically the last 13-14 months, I have been doing Muay Thai several days a week, Filipino Martial Arts/JKD one day a week, and doing Kickboxing at a Kung Fu school one day a week (although I have barely been last few months). I have tried to cram a lot of different stuff into this last year, and I guess there was some good and bad to that.

I sort of envy people that pick one thing, do only that thing, and get good at it. There are people at the Kung Fu school I go to that started when I did (3 yrs ago), put in 10+ hrs a week, and after 3 years are pretty good at Kung Fu. I am not really excited by doing forms, so I don't know if that is the right path for me - but I am interested in traditional Kung Fu just the same. The Kung Fu school I mention is very forms focused. The kickboxing there is good, but I could just do the Muay Thai and be as happy.

I really enjoy Muay Thai, on a lot of levels. I consider this my main focus right now, and have lots of friends at the school (I am in a band with 3 of them!). There is a really great positive vibe at the school. However, Muay Thai is a bit hard on me, and more than 5 hrs of it a week and I really feel it. Over the summer I over did it a few times - had to do some light physical therapy, etc. Basically I want to keep at doing Muay Thai, but have something less physically demanding to do on alternating days or something.

Filipino Martial Arts/JKD is cool too. I enjoy it, but doing it more than 1 day a week is difficult for various reasons. Logistically, and cost wise - it is not something I can train a lot. If I really wanted to make an effort, and do a lot of traveling, there are ways I could train more, but I am realistic - and I know that 5 minute commute to do Muay Thai will win over 1 hr commute to do extra JKD/FMA class. There are options available if I am open to different styles of FMA and travel - but that complicates things.

So I guess right now my long term plan is to narrow down to Muay Thai and something less intensive to do when I am not doing Muay Thai. There are lots of options where I live. I am keeping an open mind, and am looking at meetup-group type things and some low cost month-to-month schools.

11. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

More control in everything I do.. And love.

12. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Good goals everyone!

Best of luck with your food experiments Bozza.

I'm not generally a fan of setting resolutions once a year and on an arbitrary date (of you want to change, start now!), so here are some of my current goals that are to be achieved within 12 months:

1. Build the number of students at my kali class to a solid 10 regulars and add another training night.
    2. Pass my next two grades in Kali Sikaran (up to Phase 6/Kadua Guro/1st Level Black Belt)
    3. Do some awesome travelling with my Better Half (Canadian Rockies in summer, South Island NZ next Christmas)
    4. 2x BW deadlift for reps, 1.5x BW front squat
    5. Go to sleep earlier (that means in bed by 11pm, 6 nights out of 7 on average)
    6. Learn 1 new song to play on guitar every month (any song, fun>> difficulty)

That's probably enough for now, I'm sure I'll come up with some more as the year progresses :D

13. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I hate resolutions with a passion, usually the attitude I hold for myself is I'm of the mind set that if you really cared about a certain goal you set yourself, you should be already going for it.

That said, I've actually got a couple for once.

1) Get my diet sorted better. I really don't get enough fruit or veg and definitely too many carbs and crap right now and it's definitely taken an effect on me. Treated myself to a nutribullet blender for Christmas (tried one a few months ago, it was really good, never got round to getting myself one because of the price). It's not much, but it's a start.

2) Get my driving license sorted. I first applied at the start of the year and I'm still waiting for the results of the same initial application (a long, painful and almost hilarious comedy of clerical errors). While not my fault for once, it's taking the mickey now and really hamstrings my ability to travel and do even every day things like taking the kids to school, yet alone more important things.

3) Get a 1.5 x bodyweight squat, get that 80kg overhead press I've been wanting (I got to 70 and then back slid horribly) and get a 1 x BW bench press. Not the most amazing goals I know, but important milestones for me.

That's about it. There's a couple of minor ones on the side but they're usual ongoing personal struggles. Might even look at competing again next year, we'll see how that goes.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

1.) Make sure I keep a supporting membership with MAP

2.) Breath air

3.) Make money

4.) Stay alive

15. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Pfff... failed resolutions. My goal was to drop to a healthy weight and I succeeded!

See if I can keep my roll going.

This year finish my ticket. Become a journeyman.

Start a company ( this one is still up in the air. I need change, I dislike my job so I'd be happy finding a new career that I enjoy)

Continue being consistent in my aikido training.

Continue working on my health start lifting weights again and work on my flexibility because it's embarrassingly bad.

Last but not least develop my drawing and sculpting skills more.

16. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Thanks for the thread and the reminder, Simon.

How I did on those 2013 resolutions:

Well, I did get things going and going well with the training, only to have grad school and life throw a massive monkey wrench into it (spanner in the works for you Brits).

Didn't get out to external rodas (except at workshops) and didn't get sparring partners (thanks hectic schedule!).

I did travel to see family, I did pass the comprehensive exams and I did get some dissertation research funding (yay to all three).

Now, for 2015...

1. Finish the dissertation!
    2. Finish the dissertation!!
    3. Finish the dissertation!!!
    4. Get out to more external rodas, actually get some sparring partners (will be easier to do once I--altogether now--finish the dissertation)
    5. Get back on a consistent training schedule at the gym
    6. Learn how to twerk

Only one of these objectives is false.

17. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

begin saving for my post ma degree trip to china

18. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I resolve to stop making resolutions... dang it!
    Once I finish getting all of the extra weight off. I will be done. I am fairly happy with things the way they are.

19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

1. Get MUCH fitter

2. Win a Scottish MMA title

3. Appreciate family more

Not in that order :)

20. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I don't really do resolutions but I always have a couple of "projects" each year. next year I hope to wrack up enough songs that I can either put them on bandcamp or...take them to a group of people and say, "This is what I have so far".