Advice on these Clubs

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by peteryoung, Nov 16, 2014.

1. peteryoung

peteryoung New Member

HI guys,
    Thanks for your great advice for my previous thread.
    Just a re-cap, I like the stand up striking mixed with throws/take downs.
    But i dont like ground fighting. Im also interested in learning some knife defence, but not using weapons, Just Defence!
    I have a boxing background.
    I have found these two clubs, please let me know what you think!
    They must be realistic and effective! Please explain your reasons as well!
    I have also considered Judo? should this be a yes or no for me?
    Thanks Guys

http://www.forceselfdefence.co.uk/
    http://www.kyushinryu.com/

2. peteryoung

peteryoung New Member

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you dont like ground fighting you wont like judo.

Id do thai boxing. It covers striking and standing clinchwork with some throws.

4. peteryoung

peteryoung New Member

Thanks mate, I thought Judo was focused on stand up grappling and throws? Or do you 'fight' on the ground like BJJ?

Did ya check out the clubs?

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

A good judo club will have will have "newaza" which is ground fighting. So hourly have to do some of that.

6. Dead_pool

Yep, most clubs are 70% throws 30% groundwork.

How do you know you dont 'like' groundwork?

7. peteryoung

peteryoung New Member

Thanks Chadderz, I may stay away from Judo in that case, as I have no desire to fight on the ground.

Whats your thoughts on the clubs links?

I do appreciate your help!

8. peteryoung

peteryoung New Member

Thanks pal, I will take that into consideration, I like my striking and stand up techniques too much lol

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Peter,

There is an argument that to avoid a takedown and a ground fight you have to know what's coming your way and how to deal with it.

You don't necessarily have to join a BJJ club, but a club that does throws and groundwork isn't to be cast aside as an option.

10. peteryoung

peteryoung New Member

Thanks Simon, you make a good point, maybe I should be a little more 'open minded'.

I do appreciate your advice

11. Dead_pool

Id stick to a stand up striking then.

Im not in your area but I would just visit all the clubs which are purely striking styles and work from their.

Simon teaches in that area iirc.

12. Dead_pool

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Sure do, although I now only teach a couple of senior students on a weekend, as I've just gone back to being a student.

Peter, I now train in Tonbridge if you can get there.

Click on my name and then on "Simon's homepage" to see where I train.

My instructor is taking new students.

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm on my way home, I'll have a look then, but it looks like Fusen has already picked something out (;

15. peteryoung

peteryoung New Member

Cool thanks Chadderz, yeah he has, which is great! But im open to as much opinions on these clubs as I can!!!

16. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

The CMA club looks like the best option to me of the three you linked. I'd still suggest trying them out and seeing what you like best though.

Judo is a great compliment to boxing (a combination Im working on/with myself) and tbh the ground work is often not emphasised much so I wouldn't let that put you off. If there is a good judo club around your area I'd suggest you at least try it once.

If it's local enough id also suggest that you try out he places Simon is training at. He is a very knowledgeable person when it comes to MA so a club he rates is certainly worth a look.

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Want to learn knife defence? Then learn how to use one.

All that dodgy knife defence stuff you see is usually peddled by those who are clueless about how to approach weapon work beyond "pointy end in the other guy".

18. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

"Pointy end in the other guy" is a pretty good starting point though.

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Worked in Zorro. :D

20. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Seconding (thirding?) giving ground fighting a shot, especially if you're primarily interested in self defense. You look at the great strikers of MMA, and they all have a game plan for what to do if and when they get taken down. Business happens. Mistakes are made. Knowing how to move on the ground and get upright at least is a good skill to have. Plus, you never know! You might really, really enjoy it.