Muay Thai vs Kickboxing. The fight that changed history (Video)

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Acumen Athletic, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Acumen Athletic

Acumen Athletic New Member

Saw this on Facebook, figured I'd share & see what everyone else thinks.
    Sorry, didn't see the embed video in my preview so here is the video and here's the write up from FB:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpl_7w8-jTE"]Muay Thai vs. Kickboxing Breakdown: "The Fight That Changed History" - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2014
  2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Think this has been posted on MAP before. A great fight that changed Full Contact Kickboxing a lot.

3. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Those low kicks looked devestating.

Baza

4. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

THANK YOU! (and Duke Roufus is a legend I attended a seminar of his many many years back)

5. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

Jesus. Those low kicks were hurting me through the screen. What a massacre... If the Thai fighter was allowed to throw elbow and knee, the bout would've finished way sooner imho...

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Those rules were definitely in favour of kickboxing. No CLINCHING?!

7. PhilB61

PhilB61 New Member

Yeah, it should really be called American (AKA "Shiny pants") kickboxing vs real kickboxing. Imagine how much worse it would have been if it actually was Muay Thai (clinching, throws, knees, elbows).

8. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

LOL^ yeah full MT rules would have murdered the guy. I mean, if he's leaving himself open like a hanging sand bag then go for it!

9. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I was wincing watching those kicks land...showed alot of heart to push through, most would of thrown the towel in alot sooner.

Never seen that fight, Cheers

Dan

10. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

I wanted to say this the last time this video went up, but you kind of sound like all of those TMA guys who claim they don't fight in the ring because all of their deadly techniques are banned. Yes, the rules did give the Thai fighter a handicap because they weren't full Muay Thai. But I think the outcome (TKO by leg kicks, if I remember) shows that the rules still favoured the Thai fighter, ultimately.

11. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

THAI FOR LIFE

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Every year (usually New Years) in China they have a San Shou vs Muay Thai event. I'm always a bit unclear on the rules though. I think, its similar to K1.
    1-handed clinching with no successive knees and no throws.

Always good to watch though.

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, but it's actually effective and produces consistent results, not to be confused with any deadly ninja strikes to the nuts.

14. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

K1 is the most successful transitional sport between Kickboxing and Muay Thai. With influence from both sports and regular competitors from both sports, it is exciting to watch.

I actually prefer watching it to Muay Thai if I am quite honest.

15. Rhythmkiller

I think you do the kickboxer an injustice here. He had far better technique in my opinion and better hands. The ugly low kick provided results thats undeniable but i'm afriad the Thai offered nothing more than that.

Taking nothing away from him, he clearly won the fight, never saw one high kick form the Thai and of both the fighters the kickboxer to me looked far more impressive even though he lost. Particularly in the 1st round but those leg kicks just took their toll.

Just my opinion.

Baza

16. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

No need to high kick when low kick is working,thats the thing about Muay Thai once a fighter has found a week point on the opponent he will work it till it breaks:)

17. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Another thing about that fight is Changpuek was a 70kg fighter Roufus fought Middle super middle light heavy and heavy weights so not a bad job by the Thai given also it wasnt his rule set:)

18. Rhythmkiller

The ruleset is a red herring, I have a feeling he would have used the low kick constantly had he been allowed his full repertoire.

Would have been intersting if he had to fight in normal kickboxing rules, i don't know what they are but i wonder how he would have done if you took away that low kick, Elbow and knee. I know that wasn't the set up just trying to enforce my point that i believe the kickboxer was "technically" more impressive.

The end justified the means and the Thai won against someone i now understand to be a bit of a legend in kickboxing.

I like flashy kicks and that maybe cloud my judgement.

On another note and forgive my ignorance as this isn't my arena, how did the fight "Change" history?

Baza

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  19. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Americans always hated low kicks bro,they said they were damaging to legs(they can be lol) and didnt look good(you will agree with that one:)) truth is they couldnt handle them as evidenced by that fight,I dont belive it changed the history etc etc its taken until the UFC really for the Americans to embrace Muay Thai(they now have and are developing some good fighters) I also dont think much of Duke Roufus as in his understanding of real Muay Thai,there are some real good ex Thai champions teaching in USA now hence they are producing good fighters in Muay Thai:)

20. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Benny Urquidez was one American that understood low kicking and defending/countering etc and even he hid a loss to a Thai fighter from his record ,I happened to speak with the Thai that beat him he told me Bennys spinning kicks were very powerful but he got him with the elbow:)