How do people that compete in striking arts hold down a job?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Vinny Lugo, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

So for those of you who compete in serious striking arts that spar hard and have very competitive tournaments: How do you hold down a typical 9 to 5?

This all came about during a sparring session on Friday. I have sparred before but have never really got clocked good. Well on Friday the person I was sparring with slammed me in the face hard with a roundhouse kick. I then got a HUGE bruise on my face and everyone is like, "Are you okay".

This got me thinking, "How do people compete in serious striking tournaments and still hold down a job?"

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Usually as long as people know what you do they shake their head at your desire to be willingly beat up and then go back to talking about what they did at the weekend :)

3. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

I am just wondering if they can legally fire me for this? Do I need to be worried?

4. Hannibal

Legally? No

Would they? Unlikely but not impossible

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've gone to work stitched up on more than one occasion.

When someone asks what happened I tell them I did it sparring, then joke you should see the other guy, not a mark on him.

Before long it'll be a case of what has Vinny been up to now.

If I have a meeting or visit coming up I do take it a little easier.

6. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Yeah and I do security. I'm not in sales or anything so yeah Im probably worrying for nothing aren't I?

7. Hannibal

Pretty much, but it is a concern that needed addressing so this is the place to ask it

8. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Fair enough

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's never been a problem for me to be honest. I'm more worried about concussions that the way I look.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This doesn't always work.

I recall once teaching a class on a Sunday morning. In the afternoon I had an instructors session with GM Danny Guba.

During the morning class I was sparring and upped the intensity.

I bobbed and weaved one way, my training partner went the other and there was a massive clash of heads.

He had a tiny cut on the top of his head and I had a massive gash just below the eyebrow.

Quick detour to my instructor's house as he was also in the afternoon session and got patched up by his wife.

I looked a right mess with a black eye and butterfly stiches.

11. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

Just saw this post now after watching Fight Club which has scenes of guys in 9 - 5's with bruises on their faces. Lol

12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Concealer is your friend. When teaching classes I'd just put some on and Bob's your uncle.

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Usually becomes a topic of humour and interest. Just say it like it is.
    Yes, I have a bruise, yes it was given to me by a child half my size. Something like that.

And no you can't get fired for that. And you're in Security you say? Then your Manager or colleagues at the most might place you in a non public facing role for the day (if it is that noticable)

I have friends who play Rugby, they got a bit of cauliflowet, some scar tissue across the cheek. Its....normal.

14. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

But did it effect your job?

15. Hannibal

In the 70's and 80's image was everything.....that hasn't been the case for some time now

The only time it will affect your job is if injuries mean time off on frequent occasions

16. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

In an interview process for the Montgomery Country Sheriff's Office in Maryland, I ended up having to take an interview photo with a huge black eye I got the night prior at boxing.

If I didn't quit the selection/hiring process, they would have hired me. It was going really well/smooth.

Also, your face toughens up after a while. After about three months of boxing and a few black eyes, busted lips and noses, it took a whole lot more to give them to me again.

17. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Lol you mean like cover girl?

18. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

No I have never taken time off because of this

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I think one has to take into consideration their job and family obligations when choosing what sort of sparring one does.

My school's sparring rules do not allow head contact. And the instructors will be the first to tell you it can cause limitations. But that it is done so with our safety in mind. We are allowed to go close to the head, and we are supposed to block to simulate we blocked it, but it isn't the same.

How do I know this? Besides it being obvious? We have a core group of people in our Saturday sparring class, and our Sifu has been loosening up the rules under extra control. It still isn't full power, but all the students realize what a game changer it is.

I love that Sifu trusts this core group and his own skills in supervision enough to do this and I enjoy it, but I would not go to a tournament that allowed full power head contact. Because I have to work and I live alone and there is no easy way for another to care for me.

But the compromise is made because we are not a professional fighting organization, and most of us cannot and are unwilling to risk concussions. We have jobs and families. I don't want to risk permanent head injury, even if I didn't have to work.

Now some of our instructors just went to an outside tournament with full head contact. And they did very well. At least one got gold. Instructors and some students used to test themselves with looser rules in Pankration tournaments, before that organization was forced to move or fold from this area.

I think I will ask the instructors from the recent tournament how adapting from our rules to the more open rules worked for them. How difficult was it to change?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I think this is a very important consideration. Part of me wants to add a striking art to my training, cuts and bruised from sparring don't bother me, but I do not want to suffer the potential long-term problems that are associated with blows to the head. So, for the time being, I will content myself with BJJ, shadow boxing and heavy bag work. I would add capoeira, but the class times aren't great and the cost is more than I want to pay per class.

I think when choosing any sport you have to consider how it will impact your life. This could include the time commitment needed to do that sport (travelling to training etc), any other training you might want/need to do and the potential effects of injury on your lifestyle.

Head injuries are not the only consideration, for example if you are a surgeon, can you risk being out of action because of a finger injury? These can be quite common in grappling sports like Judo.