What's your problem?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by aaradia, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Hah. Believe me, it's hard to find people that are (insert whatever term you feel I might not be able to insert on a family friendly site here) than me!

But I'd still be on a schedule though.

If you remember, we recently moved city and the idea of traveling to training has made my feelings towards all this worse. Turku, where we lived before, is really small, so all the clubs were near by. Kali was about 7 minutes walk, capoeira about 15...then it moved location and was practically next door to me., like 1 minute walk. Now I am looking at google maps going, "30 minutes in the car...Miles away, not doing that!". :D

I did find a good boxing club near by but work has clashed with it. There is ninjutsu too...... ;)

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My hips. Both have now been replaced so I'm entirely pain free, which I'm grateful for, but it's knocked my movement and technique back by at least ten years. Recovering my previous levels of flexibility and control, especially in my favourite high kicks, has been a significantly harder obstacle than I ever thought it could be. I'm at the point where I'm seriously considering hanging up the kick boots and taking up BJJ (not that it's easier by any stretch of the imagination, but it has been highly recommended by older ex-TKD folks who had their hips replaced and now pursue grappling instead).

3. Bozza Bostik

Is it all high kicks or just those fancy TKD ones? Could you do Muay Thai?

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My range of movement in kicking is stuck at a little over 90 degrees. The way I see it (and this is probably going to sound a bit dumb), if I'm going to kick, it had to be high or bust. Plus with MT there's the issue of low kicks to my legs, even in practice.

5. Bozza Bostik

Fair enough - Didn't think about getting your legs hammered.

Don't feel bad about the lack of flexibility, I can't get my leg past about 45 degrees...you're doing great! :D

6. Purespite

Purespite Valued Member

Same here - that is one of my many. I have to really try hard to remember my jurus but then there are also flow drills and things start falling out of my head.

What I need to do trying to find the time to practice during the week - but time never seems to be something I have an abundance of. All of a sudden it's next week's class and I haven't practiced. Again.

There's also looking at the ground while I'm concentrating and the issue of being cack handed.

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

My main problem is just doing Aikido at Aikido class , I keep finding myself doing Karate techniques instead of the Aikido ones.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My main problem has always been reaction times. Sparring for me is sometimes like coming up with a witty riposte 10 minutes after a conversation has finished.
    I know what to do (to some degree) but getting my body to bring that out at the right time has always been tricky.
    My brain's a lot better at fighting than my body. I talk a good fight.
    I need to reduce the gap between what I "know" how to do and what I can actually do.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah maybe you should have a word with all those top level fighters that keep getting hit in the head. They could do with your "easy solution". Maybe they should train Marbo? :)

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Ha!

Well, I'd like to think that those people get kicked in the head because their opponent set them up for it, not because they never learned to put out strikes while covering their head.

I do realise that my answer came across as dismissive, when it was supposed to be encouraging (as in, you have something to work on that is achievable).

Sorry Vinny! :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

They get hit in the bonce for all sorts of reasons I think. Fatigue being a big one. Blinkered intent on offence rather than defence, being set up, being caught mid combination (when even the best are transitioning in some way), etc etc.

In Thai there's often much less stress on covering with a guard while kicking. The same side arm is often snatched across and down to aid power (and also engaging limbs, checking distance, checking across the opponent's body, etc). Arms aren't kepr static (just watch any top Thai kicking pads to see how much the arms move). The other hand moves to cover but a straight right is a classic counter to the right roundkick. Also there's more emphasis on kicking at the right time, at the right distance and with enough speed to deny the counter rather than some sort of "defensive" kicking position.

12. Bozza Bostik

I randomly came across this video yesterday, dunno if it will help as it's a bit specific to MT but worth a look or try.

From 01:35

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbK1KofAEcg"]Understanding the Traditional Muay Thai Stance & Strategies - YouTube[/ame]

13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

In theory I know what i have to do and I it's pretty much this.

My problem (well, probably one of them anyway :D ) is that I have learned another kick in Hapkido and they "burned it into me" to keep the spin, because... well, because it's part of the kick.

Now those two kicks have the same starting position, in their variations as well, and I always fall back to my first experience in HKD, unless I really, really try to concentrate not to - and when I do this, I totally screw up essentially everything, because *then* I fall back into thinking too much, which was a real big problem and is still a rather big problem.

I nearly thought about quitting my kickboxing lesson (I usually only do it once a week, because it's an add-on for the fun; the teacher knows that), but then of course he started to do in Karate as well all the time :eek:

14. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

15. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

Can you remember the name of the kick from hapkido, or can you find it on YouTube?

I'd be willing to bet that the problem is a very simple yet easily overlooked subtle difference in setup.

16. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Hey dude, not sure of anyone chimed in on this but as someone who used to spar/roll with way too much strength and get gassed... Your problem is quite likely related to tension/striffness and adrenaline.

Both bodily tension and adrenaline sap the body faster than anything.

If you feel you are guilty of this then deffo focus on staying loose and relaxed through out sparring and I think you will see your issue resolved.

17. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Mentally, staying aggressive and asserting my game throughout the roll. I have a tendency to play defense and be passive. Physically, my weight (plays both for and against me though) and my long list of chronic injuries.

18. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I have a rational fear of injury.

Around 15 years ago I had an accident when running downhill. I had surgery. Then I had physiotherapy on and off for 12 years. I have been pain free for 2 years. In addition I am now 50 years old and injuries don't heal as quickly as they used to.

I do 3 or 4 hours of swimming a week because I can go flat out with little risk of injury. But for the martial arts I do not train as hard as I could, or as hard as I would like. The problem is finding the right level of effort v's risk.

If you are over the age of forty and you wake up and nothing hurts - its probably because you are dead.

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

QFT. We're about the same age, and I have the same problem with boxing. I've said now in class many times that I should have taken up boxing ten years ago. :cry: But -- in the last 12 months my walk-around weight has dropped 20 pounds, and I can drop and do (usually) 30 more push-ups now than I could a year ago, and I can run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes whereas a year ago I struggled to run a half-mile without stopping. All because of boxing. :D :D :D

Dude, you just recited my life! :eek: :D

20. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

My main problem is I have a hard time sticking with regular training when I hit schedule disruptions.

E.g., if I'm out of town for a week or two, even if I exercise a while out of town (e.g., hotel gym), I find it much harder to get back into my routine. (Much harder than going regularly while in my routine.)

In the past some of my exercise-related endeavors have faded away due to schedule disruptions then just never making it over that willpower hill to get back into it.

EDIT: I also have that art-hopping issue. I've studied (in rough chronological order):
    Karate or TKD (not sure which, did 2 months as a kid, studio moved too far for my parents to take me and I stopped taking it)
    Wrestling (Did 1 or 2 years of this in high school, only during winter sports season though)
    Aikido (2-3 months, then decided the schedule was too rough on me. They were meeting at 4:30 most days and getting out of work in time was very rough.)
    MMA class (2-3 months, it was a really small class (1-3 students) meeting 1x/week, instructor had to stop due to time constraints). Covered a bit of boxing, bit of Muay Thai, bit of submission wrestling. We did lots of sparring & free rolling.
    Jiu Jitsu (not brazilian) ~5 months, so far my record. Though I'm trying out Muay Thai today and if I like it switching to it.
    Judo: 2 classes. Was going to join the club but then decided I'd try Muay Thai + BJJ instead (and may hold off on BJJ for a bit and just focus on Muay Thai)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016