How do people that compete in striking arts hold down a job?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Vinny Lugo, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I worded what I did a little too loosely. It's something I would mention, not something I would put significant focus on unless somebody is trying to compete or trying to spar heavy regularly.

There are a lot of sports at the amateur level that are significantly more dangerous for head injures than say, boxing is. Head injuries are very significant, just not as significant (to me) of something to focus on. Although protecting your dome in boxing should be a top priority anyways : P

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Ban them all Overlord Aaradia!!!!!! Their "sport" is inferior!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

:D

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Hey we were nice no one mentioned anything about a world series with only one country taking part or anything like that ...:evil:

4. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

What I did the other day was light contact but I am having to get used to sparring. The dude I was sparring with hit and had me in the corner of the ring. I was trapped so I had to jab out hard which I did out of pure reflex. After that the other dude also went into fight or flight and slammed me in the face with a kick.

5. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

But how long have you been sparring though?

6. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

But no misogyny intended but I wonder if the reason your boss freaked out like he did was because you are a woman and it is somewhat out of the norm for woman to do hard fist fighting. And when guys get hit like this its supposedly its guys being guys. But when women do it the go to thing is to think it is spousal abuse.

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Nope, he was just freaked out by the bruises. He knew I did martial arts, including sparring well before this happened.

And those weren't even from sparring. The bruises were from conditioning in two person forms. This one............

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avfpOsrDlPU"]Choy Lee Fut - Tiger vs Leopard - YouTube[/ame]

The whole assuming it is because of domestic violence thing that I described, well that IS an assumption based on gender and the fact that more men are known in our society for doing combat sports............

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  8. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Yeah it seems kind of rare for women to do striking martial arts.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

4 and a half years? Mostly light. Ramping up for a competition just now.

10. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

But by now you likely are rarely getting hit in the head

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I think you need to let go of that idea. My school is about an equal ratio of men to women. And the ratio of women in sparring class is only a slight drop off from that. In stick fighting class, there are more female regulars than men.

There is a bigger drop off when it comes to doing sparring in our tournament. Which is unfortunate.

Many women do striking martial arts. Not as many as men I imagine, but more all the time.

As societies continue to break down it's bigotry and societal conditioning regarding women in combat sports, or learning combat arts, the ratio will only increase. Women being in the UFC will show the girls growing up today that they too can do martial arts just like the men.

Rarer than men, probably. I don't think it is all that rare. Most of the instructors on MAP have mentioned female students that they have had.

12. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

No no. I am not saying women cant do martial arts as good as men. In fact I have a female instructor and she can destroy me in combat. I also could believe that the number of females vs males is increasing. I just think more men do mma then women that's all