Who fancies rhabdo? MAP challenges!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by seiken steve, Feb 25, 2011.

1. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Threads like The BW exercises and challenges and the pull up challenge seem pretty popular, so I thought we could do a thread where we share physical feats and challenges and compare performances.
    Like crossfit on roids!

Challenges could be for a time, number of reps, number of sets, rounds or whatever.

The thread will have to work on trust as I doubt all challenges will fit onto video etc but I'm sure we can keep this fun and trusting.

Obviously be considerate with equipment as we don't all have prowlers or tractor wheels etc.

I hope this works out and please don't actually give yourself rhabdo!

2. seiken steve

I'll kick of proceeding:
    50 burpees and 100 kb/DB swing, for time

Swings to be done with 20kg or as heavy as you can manage.

Do as many sets as you like and post a time below.

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I've seen some ridiculously fast burpees on YT, my best is only around 14 reps a minute, I'd be lucky to get the first part done in 5 minutes :(

4. seiken steve

Haha I literally suck at burpees, I'm just waiting for my food to go down before giving it a shot, seems kinda pointless since I'm probably going to chunder anyway!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  5. Princess Haru

tomorrow is my cardio and new exercises day at the gym so I may give the 50 burpees a go (as a starting point). I think swinging a third of my bodyweight 100 times might do me more harm than good though. I also know my KB swing rate is about 30 a minute (from when i was doing more circuits) that was with 12kg

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

ok... as one of the gyms I train at is literally littered with KB's this might be just the thing... but will have to see how sore I am from squats and dl's first... :p

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I'm definitely visiting Pizza Express this weekend - would it be considered a challenge if I tried to eat two Pizzas instead of my usual one???

8. seiken steve

I'd be impressed rob!
    Don't know how much it will help your fitness!

Right my time was

8 min 29.3 seconds

I'm quite pleased with that.

And slip, yeah mate I'll be keen to see what you get, this was instead of a Deadlift day as I couldn't be bothered with the gym.

9. Atre

Atre Valued Member

Damn didn't read the thread properly.

Don't have the kit for the swing but did 50 burpees from cold in 1min 38 seconds.

I'm now very confused by the crossfit burpee thread (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=31270&page=4). Would NOT have thought I was that fast, can only imagine that I was working these for speed rather than maximum jump height on each motion.

EDIT: Aha! Burpees incorporate a pressup, would explain things - that's not how I was taught them!

10. Princess Haru

^ my burpee was based on the Crossfit type - drop, squat thrust out, full push up, squat thrust in, jump in the air with arms up, stand, repeat - but sure I was also doing an easier method at school. I've seen harder variations on youtube including pullups after the jump or a tuck jump. The really fast guys seem able to combine the squat out and drop into the push up in one movement as far as I can tell, as it's so quick

11. seiken steve

Yeah, I often try to spring from the push up into the bottom of the jump in one move, is quite hard to explain, like a plyo pushup but when your in the air tuck you knees.
    Will last the first 12 or so but I can't be that explosive for that long!
    the pull up ones are great, I sometimes do them under a tree.

I'm hoping there will be some fun new challenges popping up as more mappers get involved.
    Also more maximal strength based challenges to as well as endurance/speed work.

12. Princess Haru

tried it though I had to sub parts as i can't swing a 20kg kb at all

8:22 (and that was with a 16kg kb for 55 when i found i wasn't going to make it 12kg remainder)

the burpees weren't too bad until half way then i kept having to stop, take a breath or two and resume. the kettlebell was a killer. i've done swings with 12kg before that felt smooth and fast, these felt neither with the 16kg. i need to do more of these

13. seiken steve

8.22 is a great effort!

At a apron 60kg bodyweight 55 swings with a 16kg bell is very impressive! A lot of volume for such a high intensity.

14. seiken steve

Aaahhh come on guys!
    If you don't like the challenge make your own.
    If you do like the challenge give it a shot, at least give this thread a bit of traffic.

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I may forego my regular workout tonight and try this. I only have a 16kg and a 24kg bell though, no 20kg here. Since you're the challenger, which should I use?

A fun idea may be to give each challenge a week or so, then whoever wins that challenge gets to pick the next go around. Obviously integrity's going to be important.

16. seiken steve

Great idea! That would add a bit of competition, always a great incentive!
    Tbh Kuma your probably the strongest bloke on the forum so I'm feeling kinda inclined to say the heavier one!
    Seriously though do whichever your comfortable with as I don't what to feel responsible for you missing out on training.

17. Princess Haru

can the KB 100 be done first? i don't want to be beaten by a 16kg KB and think the only way I'll make it is to start fresh on them and cry my way through the burpees, another go tomorrow if i remember

18. seiken steve

Do whatever order you want, it's just the number of reps you need to attain.
    I did something like
    50 swings, 15 bur pees 10 swings 10 burpees. 30 swings 15 burpees 10 swings.
    In hindsight should have done 10 swings 5 burpees repeat.

Doh shouldn't have said that!

19. Princess Haru

I did 30 burpees, whew, another 10, come on you, another 10, ahh that wasn't too bad... picked up 20kg nonono, picked up 16kg, then 30 swings, phew, 25 swings, arrrghh, dropped, picked up 12kg, then 30 swings, come on you slag, 15 swings, collapse, look at watch on floor.

I think 10/20 x 5 would be more manageable, less grrrry

20. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

How exactly are the swings done and will my weight discs do as I don't have any kettlebells...