guidelines

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by binski20, Apr 8, 2003.

1. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Hey what would you guys think about making some guidelines for bodyweight exercises??
    Like how many reps should you be able to do before moving on to weights?
    Let's put our heads together and make some guidelines.

Crunches- i think 500 is a good number

anymore

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hmmmm.......

Performance in bodywieght exercises has no bearing on weigth training - that's like asking how far you should be able to run before doing squats.

It also implies that bodyweight exercises are some sort of pre-cursor to weight training. They are not - you need both.

500 crunches is plain dumd. if you can do 500 proper crunches you're cheating them. 50 done properly is a good number but again has no relevance to weigth training.

3. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

I approach bodyweight and weighted excercise separately. I focus on low reps for weights.

For bodyweight(crunches,pushups,unweighted pullups) I go for as many as I can, no matter how much weight i can lift..

4. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Yoda, I have to agree and disagree. I know that bodyweight and weight training are seperate, but in the end everything is related. For example it is advised not to do plyometrics until you can squat 1.5 times your bodyweight. This is to ensure your body is strong enough to prevent injuries.
    As for the crunches 500 is not dumb. The stomach muscles make up part of the centre of the body. They are used to some degree in nearly all movement. I can testify to my improvement in all areas after extensive ab training.

5. YODA

Ok - you know best.

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I couldn't do anywhere near 500 proper ones :confused:

If you can, you might as well work some other muscles instead! ;)

7. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

:D :D :D

8. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

I have to agree with Yoda on this one if you are doing 500 crunches then you are not doing them right. when you get into the crunch position you should squeeze your stomach muscles as hard as you can 'correct me if I'm wrong' now the stronger your stomach gets the harder you can squeeze therefor 50 good crunches will be just as if not more effective than 500 with little or no squeeze on the crunch position. Now I'm not saying your wrong binski20 you will no doubt get good effect after 500 crunches but why do 500 when 50 are just as effective.

Cooler

9. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

The only real advantage of 500 situps (or anything else really) over 50 of the same is endurance. If you're interested in gaining strength, then huge multiples are not going to do it.

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

i'll prefer quality over quantity most of my lifting schedule...
    -TkdWarrior-

11. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Yup, and even then, for endurance training your better working the whole body.

12. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Ok, i think this started off on the wrong foot.

Basically, I believe bodyweight exercises are very beneficial to anyone, especially those looking to move into weightlifting. I believe that they should be a prelude to extenesive weight training as they allow the body to first learn to handle itself throughout movements, also strengthening the muscles and joints.

I am not categorizing the 2 together. They are different. However, they are intertwined as the bottom line is we are training our bodies.

13. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Why do bodyweight exercises as a prelude to weight training? Surely you'd be better off doing a beginner-specific weights routine?

14. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Also there is only one guidleine necessary for bodyweight exercises:

go to Scrapper

15. YODA

Exactly!!!!

16. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

I would like to retract this idea I had. I was talking with my boxing coach when I was posting this and was wrapped up in what he was telling me. I realize now the fallacies of this(duh). Some boxing trainers have alot of "old fashioned" ideas to correct.