Gracie Barra Glasgow

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by righty, Apr 4, 2017.

1. righty

righty Valued Member

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Haha, what drama. BTW that "other city" was Edinburgh. Moved in literally 300 metres from Rick Young's, who is one of the best black belts in Europe (won the world's at his weight class and age last year).

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

On that note. I mmmmmmmmaybe visiting Edinburgh in a few months. Dependant on a few things. Will bring Gi and gloves :p

4. Pretty In Pink

Woooo! And a gumshield!

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

..and thats just for being at the airport

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

how do you know any of this is true?

even if it is all true, let's just say for argument's sake, what business do you have re-posting anonymously from some other anonymous poster?

are you the original poster on reddit or in collusion with said person?

what if none of this is true? then you're passing along a rumour that will potentially affect someone's livelihood.

and after reading this wall of text, i don't even really see the problem. charging more for taking more classes? really? why do you expect to get something for free? in this case, krav and kickboxing. so he doesn't teach all the classes, or doesn't roll. so. then relaying a story of which the reddit poster knows nothing about how an instructor was let go? what does "not a nice guy" even mean.

serious shenanigans here. you should be ashamed of yourself for promoting hearsay. if you don't like it, go to another gym.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

How do you know it isn't?

Discussion topic about a well known brand of school in an area with a lot of MAP members. Last time I checked that was our raison d'etre here

Sunshine is the best disinfectant and truth is an absolute defense - even a casual search reveals a lot of similar stories and tales. Making them public allows them to be either refuted or upheld.

If you read it then you didn't understand it - that was NOT the problem being identified...read it again

They did and they shared their negative experience so others would not suffer a similar experience

Swap GB for Frank Dux or Ashida Kim and would you be so equally outraged?

8. Giovanni

i'm not the one talking smack about someone else.

sure. i get that. but show me what in that wall of text is really wrong? "he's not a nice guy". ok. did he do something illegal? did he physically or mentally abuse another student?

i'm not disagreeing the with sunshine comment.

ok, let's run down the list of complaints:

tiered pricing: so?

seemingly some people get promoted more quickly than others. again, so?

the business owners employs coaches to run the school. so? every bjj gym i've ever gone to employs coaches.

mass promotion. so? my coach mass promotes once a year. sure, he hands out some belts here and there. but mostly, at our end-of-year seminar.

then we get into all this stuff about how he's not a "nice guy". ok, he's not a nice guy--maybe. we don't know really do we? we just have some anonymous person re-posting some other anonymous person's post. oh no, he discouraged someone from competing. big deal.

this poster should go to another gym. if we can believe this supposed "mass exodus", then this gym isn't going to be open long anyway. and maybe this guy learned how to keep his students/customers.

i don't think we're talking about the same stuff are we? to me, the reddit post is pure hearsay and nothing of value.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  9. Giovanni

i'm not really outraged. i just am not sure this is right. it feels like someone just talking smack about someone else. that's what i'm reacting to.

10. Hannibal

Other than calling someone a liar for sharing a negative experience...that's ok is it?

Questionable promotional practices, murky pricing, not delivering on promised classes....

'Cos its awesome that's why! :)

Sure

Inconsistently so...that's the apparent issue

I have Apprentices and Instructors under me but they only cover the occasional class...you train at a MY club then *I* am the one that does the vast majority of the teaching - if it is not this way then it needs to be outlined upfront that you will be learning from the lower grades

It affords dubious QC in such a tactile art as BJJ, and the mass promotions were less concerning than the timing of them

Along with the all the others in the comments section....did you even read it?

He did

So has the WMAA

Have you or I trained there? No

has the reddit poster? Yes

So he is if nothing else infinitely more informed on this than you or I

I assume you object to all forms of review, observation and critique based on your stance then.....

Anyone sharing an experience - good or bad - should do so to give others a picture of what they experienced and equally to allow for a level of counterpointing....your "just move and and say nothing" approach is one reason that the MA industry as a whole has such appalling QC - BJJ is just the latest to start to fall victim

11. Hannibal

Actually they are making a series of observations based on first hand experience that they expound within the text

Had the said "This place is t3h Suckz and will rip you off" then you may have a point, but the post was voluminous and laid out the rationale (agree or disagree with the conclusion) pretty clearly....much of it was borne out in the comments section too, and there were also some POSITIVE GB experiences reported in there so already there is a balance appearing in the accounts allowing for more informed decision making for potential consumers

12. Giovanni

i called it hearsay.

why is it questionable to promote some others faster than another? there was a college wrestler that started at my gym at the same time as me. he's a purple belt, i'm a blue belt. i'm fine with it. lol

does this poster know every single case of promotion and can judge, as a beginner, whether someone "deserves" it or not?

i'll grant murky pricing. but that's everywhere. the reason i train at my current gym is because the owner actually does post a price on the internet and does not do contracts. but, he does do tiered pricing if people want to also box or do muay thai and bjj.

that all sounds great hannibal, for your gym.

as a rule, i don't read comments sections. not on articles, youtube, reddit, anything else. so no.

i get what you're saying hannibal. here's what would have made it better for me. and i'll give my example post in pseudo-outline...:)

everything else is pure hearsay.

13. Hannibal

You need to learn what hearsay means.... Other than a few slight mentions (the other gym closing)) this isnt hearsay it's firsthand account

In purely legal terms that carries more weight

14. Pretty In Pink

I've heard of one or two poor practices from that gym.

If nothing else, the part I said about him opening up down the road from another Gracie Barra school is true.

15. Giovanni

hear·say
    ˈhirˌsā/
    noun
    information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate; rumor.
    "according to hearsay, Bob had managed to break his arm"
    synonyms: rumor, gossip, tittle-tattle, idle talk; More
    LAW
    the report of another person's words by a witness, usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law.
    "everything they had told him would have been ruled out as hearsay"

questions: is the op of this thread the op on reddit? is the op knowledgable of the situation at all or just re-posting something just because? because if it's not the same person, then this whole map thread actually is hearsay.

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

GB glasgow has a terrible terrible reputation in the UK. Luckily the Griphouse is nearby, for comparison.

17. Dead_pool

Not rolling, and getting your blackbelt superquick, shouldnt ever, ever, go well together.

18. Giovanni

where did you get the black belt got it super quick? i'm just wondering. did i miss that in the op?

19. Hannibal

The Reddit post is firsthand - not hearsay

20. Dead_pool

personal knowledge, this topic has been kicking around since he got his blackbelt a few years ago. Id have to double check but iirc it wasnt very long at all.