Hip issues?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KeepBelievin, Aug 7, 2016.

1. KeepBelievin

KeepBelievin New Member

I am training myself to do middle splits.when I try to go down lately my legs move behind me and I end up out of the stretch. I do the frog stretch and am pretty good at that now. The squat where you open your legs into a straight line. Got that. The forward bend. Progressing nicely. Butterfly stretch. piece of cake.But when it comes to the straddle...I suck. I have been doing the wall straddle for a month and a half by now..maybe longer..and I am not progressing ? It's the same semi wide v and that's with me pulling my legs down. Literally no progress. no little by little anything. I'm thinking about getting ankles weights for that.. I also sit and push my legs against the wall to open my legs. Same semi wide v. I push myself with these stretches twice a day . I do it for long periods of time. I can't open my legs that wide by myself either. It's a plain v if I try to open my legs without pushing against something. What the heck am I doing wrong.. I seem to be progressing in my other Stretches.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I assume you mean you're doing a standing side split and your hips move forward as you try to lower yourself to the floor. If this is the case, it's probably because you're essentially trying to touch your pelvis to the floor. Doing so transfers the stretch from your inner thighs to your hip flexors. To remedy this, place a chair in front of you. Use it to support your weighy and focus on keeping your hips, knees and ankles all in one straight line. A good cue is to think about pulling your legs apart to the sides, instead of lowing yourself to the ground.

No progress is your body telling you that your choice of exercises, order of exercises, number of exercises or frequency of exercising is wrong. You need to change things up. The only way to find the type of training your body reaponds best to is through trial and error. This means you have to go through a constant and consistent process of try and change, try and change, try and change.

Again, no progress = ineffective exercise. So do what you're doing differently, or do something different. One thing that's common to all the people I work with who have successfully increased their range of motion, is that they limited the number of exercises they did. One exercise per muscle group is usually enough to get results. It sounds like you're doing too much. Cut it down to one exercise. And since the standing side split is usually the most effective exercise of the lot, just do that. Cut down on the amount of time you spend in a stretch too. 30 seconds to 2 minutes is usually the sweet spot. Start with 30 seconds, do it for a few weeks, then do 45 seconds for a few weeks and compare your results. Go with the one that works best.