Self Defense-Are People Aware?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by 47MartialMan, Jul 7, 2016.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Oh my, I was invited to attend a self defense seminar-course. Not following my skeptic-cautious train of thought, I did not bother to research the presenters / instructors. I guess I was more curious and I had some time to waste.

Almost needless to state, this course, like many I have had attended-observed, was far from the thorough instruction that so few out there have

I was trying to find defense discussions, videos, and pics of senseless self defense (If members can post and share-much appreciated)

It seems that the public continues to remain in a state of illusion, complacency, and conned.

People should be "really informed" before being "readily conformed" to a seminar, course, or instructor

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

What do you think were the biggest problems with the course? It might be helpful to other people if you can describe what the flaws were, so they can be aware of what to watch out for.

3. 47MartialMan

Thanks-

For starters:

High downward "ax kick" to knock the arm of a knife wielding assailant's arm with the weapon

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Dear god......

5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Must have been your class. I'm pretty sure you mentioned the axe kick was part of your syllabus in another thread.

#BoycottHannibalSelfDefense

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

FYI. :simon:

7. Hannibal

I know English isn't the first language for you treacherous colonials, but learn to read you ungrateful peasant!

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Simon is a MOD and can manipulate the forum like God does in our every day lives. That, and anyone can write the quotation commands ::eye roll::

I bet Hannibal tapes a knife to his heel and axe kicks wood for the winter.

xD

9. Hannibal

I use my big chopper to smash through wood....

....yeah, you heard me right :D

10. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

I highly recommend anything by Geoff Thompson or Peter Consterdine. I've done courses with both of them and they're the best I've found in terms of self-defence. Geoff and Peter have a wealth of experience as doormen and in close protection, which shines through in their DVDs and books.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I watched all the pavement arenas recently.

I think it had some good stuff but was a bit disappointed. I bet it was very novel and refreshing when it was released but not so much now. A lot of it was talking about the failings of TMA - especially Karate - for Street violence and had a heavy leaning towards the type of scenarios you would encounter as a bouncer for obvious reasons. I didn't actually think it went into very much detail about specific strategies for the non physical elements of self defence and essentially boiled down to, hit first, hit hard, hit in a sensible order (multiples) and keep your eyes and ears open.

I liked the idea of verbal distraction before striking but I thought it'd be much better overall and go into much more depth than it did.

12. 47MartialMan

Thanks sandy, but actually (if my error) I was looking for stuff that is "senseless"..bogus...bad....

13. Simon

Why?

You give the impression you know what is bogus, so why not be positive and post some examples that you think is good?

You could also give more examples of what you witnessed at the seminar and what you'd do differently.

You are so cryptic, why not have a go at actually being productive?

14. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Y'all mus' be thinkin' yer talkin' to them thar Frenchie folk in Canadaland,not some young feller south o' y'all.

Or was that to do with the term from Ireland?

BoycottHannibalSelfDefense

Seán Ó Duibhir a' Ghleanna.

15. 47MartialMan

Often, people can learn from seeing what is bogus verses good. It seems there are more bogus than good, and to post the bogus, will give notice

I know what is bogus, like the other experience members here, but getting these in the open, can have a newcomer or passer-by look, compare or see if it relates to something they are being taught-hence the thread

16. Simon

To negative for me.

Go to Facebook for bogus self defence and chi no touch videos.

I think we could be more positive. A newcomer could still compare that to what they're being taught.

17. Knee Rider

So in the spirit of changing the nature of this thread to a more positive perspective... Can anybody recommend some solid detailed self-defense/protection material? How about work that builds upon the conceptual framework of the protection pyramid?

What are the key elements people should look out for in courses?

18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I really really liked the first two Rory miller books (meditatations on violence was the first one), I havnt read any of his newer books.

Unfortunately the hands on video ive seen of his wasnt amazing, but his books dont really cover physical techniques so thats ok.

also it turns out the koryu he trained in, wasnt koryu, for such a thoughtful author to not be able to critically appraise his own school, was disappointing too.

The first book is especially good. Very conceptual, thoughtful without being dry, and a lot of it rings true.

#positive?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  19. Knee Rider

Nice one DeadPool. I hear that one mentioned a lot.

20. Knee Rider

Just ordered:

Meditations on violence, confronting violence and conflict communication.

Let's see what they're like!