Have your blood checked!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Antonius, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Antonius

Antonius Valued Member

Im 34 years old, weigh 74kg and am 1.75m tall. I eat normal, rarely drink and work out regularly (taekwondo, fitness and sparring). Despite this Ive been having weird episodes of tightness in my chest, pain sensations in my fingers and trouble breathing.

According to the ECG my heart was perfectly healthy but according to my blood test I am a walking cholesterol factory. Turns out I got this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercholesterolemia#Genetics

According to the dietist changing my diet could only lower my cholestorol by 10-15%. So starting this week I have to take a pill every day. Fortunately I can still workout and sport as much as I want.

The point of this post? Have your blood checked! Just because you look healthy it doesnt mean there's nothing wrong with you.

Hope that doesnt sound as alarmist as it reads but I am glad I caught it now before it damaged my heart.

2. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

Glad they caught your issue. It's definitely worth getting things looked at every six months to a year, and to pay attention to your health and even small changes. I was diagnosed with hypertension a couple of years ago. I'd not been going for regular checkups, but noticed that my temper was getting short at work all the time and I always felt hot. So went by a local pharmacy that had a blood pressure test available and it was through the roof. Went to the doctor and got straightened out with meds and focus on diet changes. Looking back, if I hadn't noticed those changes, could've ended up having a stroke.