NaNoWriMo

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Gary, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/about

Anyone from MAP competing this year, or tried this previous years? I'm giving it a go next month and have no idea what to expect.

2. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Aye, I have joined this year. Have my 'novel' structured, some characters, etc.

Ready to start, although I may not finish it. 24 hours left!

My user is brucehum . If you want, you can search for my user and add me as a writing buddy, that way, we can encourage each other.

3. Gary

Done, I'm GWis. I've probably way over-planned this thing, though I can't see myself doing it cold with no direction like some people.

4. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Great! It starts in 23 hours for me...

5. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

I'm doing it this year.

6. Gary

Less than 12 hours for me now, actually had a bad dream about this last night! Woke up in a cold sweat thinking it was the end of November and I hadn't started yet. For a voluntary challenge I think my subconscious is way too worried about it

7. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

I think that's good... It means you are committed to it.

Around 20% of nanowrimos finish on time. The rest doesn't.

I wonder if being a M.A. helps, as we do have a certain habit to do even if we don't feel like that day.

8. Gary

Getting into the habit of regular writing is my motivation for it, left to my own devices I would plan ad infinatum et ultra.

9. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

It is my motivation too... but because otherwise I would probably not write many days... I usually am a reader OR a writer, but both at the same time I find it difficult for some reason.

10. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Come on, guys. You can make it.

Remember: write and write. December will have time for editing. We are just writing our first draft.

11. Gary

Almost managed to beat my two foes, the editor and the procrastinator yesterday. Finished up just 100 words short of my minimum word count so feeling a bit better about progress now.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I would love to try it, however I dont believe I am eloquent of language enough.

50,000 words of an adult version of See Spot Run, Run Spot Run with toilet humour and gibberish will be my contribution...

On a serious note, maybe I'll join next year. I've been recently trying to get back into scriptwriting and I have a few stories in my head that I would try to get out. (currently trapped in Priority Limbo....)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  13. Gary

There used to be a similar event called script frenzy, though I'm not sure if that happens any more.

14. Mushroom

Just going through the site (as best I can with unsupported software on work comp)...how is it judged? Is it within the member/community reading through 100s-1000s of novels?

15. Gary

Nope, there's no real prize and no way to know if someone is just updating their word count without writing anything. The real reward is proving you can get a significant amount of work done and get into the habit of consistent writing rather than get caught editing everything towards an impossible perfection.

16. Mushroom

Hmm...interesting. I'll keep this in mind for next year. Cheers.

17. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Gary, I see you round-kicked your inner editor in the head, stroke his groin, submitted him by choke and restroke the groin once again to make sure he is now fully unconscious! Your inner procastrinator ran away when he saw how you treated your inner editor...

18. Gary

Ha ha, yeah. Quiet day at work, had my lappie, nearly doubled my word count. The temptation to go back and clean up a little is strong though.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  19. Gary

Done, finished the 50k this morning :D

20. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Great! I finished 2 days ago also!