which techniques should I try to master first?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by thewillo, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Get closed guard techniques down first. After that, you can expand your game.

2. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I don’t think that’s even going to happen at white belt. Bottom guard techniques take a while to get down in a live roll because you have to make up for gravity working against you with speed, power and explosiveness. For the hobbyist, I don’t think you really get to the level of technical proficiency until you’re a really good blue or even a purple belt. I'm a mid blue and I'm definitely not there yet. Then again my technique is poop :D

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

no closed guard = no bluebelt

If your relying on speed, power and explosivness, that would be why your having problems.

Move your hwwwps my fren.....

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

<chanting>

move your hips, move your hips, move your hips

lol

5. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I never said to "rely on" speed, power and explosiveness but that bottom game submissions do require them - on top of technique that’s given - to work in a live roll. Here is Roy Harris’s take on being a blue belt. Not the final word of course but interesting nonetheless:

I agree with that, at least at the white and up to a certain level at blue, and across the board when people are close in skills. Can a higher rank tap a clueless newbie without tapping much into those attributes? Sure, but that’s not what I’m talking about. Are you telling me no one at your gym gets their blue belt unless they are able to sub, sweep or retain guard / from bottom, in a live roll, without using any of those attributes?

6. Dead_pool

Closed guard isnt a Inferior position, your quote even says that, Under standard rules its at worst 50/50, the bottom person only needs one move to sweep/submit or transition, whereas the guy on top needs to open, then pass, then take SC before he can even try a submission (nonreaping anklelocks not included).

obv MMA/SD is a bit different, but even then closed guard is the most dominant bottom position.

Bluebelts should be able to smoothly attack from and replace the guard without having to muscle too much, guard is in the hips not the triceps.

7. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Good point on the closed guard not being included. Now that I'm rereading it I'm not sure whether he means excluding it, including it or somewhere in between.

8. Dead_pool

It reads more like a position before submission type thing from years ago.

9. Peter Maloney

Peter Maloney New Member

I would agree with most to work on your fundamental moves, as they're more important. But don't be afraid to try and learn an advanced move just because you're a white belt. Just don't make it your main priority until your standard moves are perfected.

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I just learned that although in White Belt, the knee wrecking scissorleg takedown is illegal...apparently jumping half guard is legal? Which is just as bad? (discussion from grappling in class)

I has video from facebook but its...not pretty.

11. Dead_pool

ive seen that, silly thing is, theres no halfguard there, its literally just jumping at the knee joint.

Flying scissors Is illegal at all belt levels, as is reaping. jumping closed guard is illegal at white due to similar horrific knee injuries and to encourage a more realistic standup game.