The best BJJ detail ever

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Dead_pool, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I saw this recently and realised that its spot on perfect advice, weve had a few white belts leave this year, because they didnt feel they were getting better, when they really were, but they were comparing themselves with others who were also getting better.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=62UNMKob27g

2. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

I just had to have a conversation about this topic with some of our white belts. It is a curious phenomenon, they can't see themselves getting better, but all the upper ranks can see huge growth. I was the same way though, until we had new white belts start for comparison, I couldn't feel it.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think it's common in a lot of arts. People don't see their progress, they only see the people better than them.

I'll watch people at TKD who are throwing head-height kicks and starting to move fluidly, who will then say that, "they feel like they're not getting any better."

BJJ does have a particularly steep learning curve initially though, I think.

There are also, of course, some people who just won't enjoy a given system, regardless of progress; we just have to let them keep moving on till they find their thing.

mitch

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Yeah, incremental progress is really difficult to notice as the person making it. I've had a couple students complain that they're not making any progress. Normally what I do is get them to slowly take one inch steps toward a far away target. They'll never see the target growing much larger and it'll seem like they're not really getting anywhere. Then I do the same and ask them if they see any difference. It really hammers home in a simple and visceral way that perspective is everything.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I think this is a good point, however much you talk to people about it, its not untill they smash a new guy that they understand it on a visceral level.

which is another reason why 'brand new white' on white rolling is an injury waiting to happen.

White belt lives/joints matter.....

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

great video. thanks for posting. i typically like this gentleman's youtube videos.

i think for me, this all boils down to consistency over time. i think it's then that you start seeing real progress. especially when you look back at what you're able to do.

7. adam-s-bjj

adam-s-bjj New Member

Progress is definitely hard to see when your first starting out, but I usually say to them its better to focus on enjoying learning the art than to worry about how effective you are, progress will come with time, consistency and repetition provided you are being fed the correct information and receiving plenty of personal attention from your teacher, as understanding of the art improves so will ability.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

There is one kid in the class I train with and he's set on fighting MMA. He's tall, big for his age. He's 14. He's also super dedicated right now. He could easily, and probably will be, black belt by the time he is my age. Which blows my mind. Right now he's complaining about not feeling progress. Drives me mad because he's getting better week by week.

White on white crime.

White (belt) lives matter.

9. thewillo

thewillo New Member

I've been at it for 4 months now, and I never feel like I'm getting better, but the blue and purple belts I train with have something good to say about my progress pretty much weekly. My class is only 2 white belts, rest are blue or purple, so I don't get that many tap outs, but I take solace in the little parts of the fight where I pull off some technique even if it doesn't win me the match. I have heard a lot of people quit in the first 6 months, but with the friendly atmosphere of the dojo I'm at, it's pretty hard to not have a good time.