Chukidokwan

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Williel, Jun 15, 2012.

1. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

should be easy, sir. the person that gets the chop succeeds. if a gm has a chop to seal put on certs and official correspondence, it will be handed down... right?

2. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Please take this response in the spirit in which it is meant. I DO agree that in days gone by passing the seal from one administrator to another was probably the best way to do it. Lately it seems as though there is something new in the wind.

Used to be that folks didn't approach passing a tradition like we think about handing-down a franchise these days. Organizations merge and split and merge again and the general membership really doesn't have much to say about it. Recently I remember a NUMBER of threads on the KUK SOOL area when a new agreement was handed-out to schools and the attitude seems to be a kind of "put-up-or-shut-up/take-it-or-leave-it" approach.

In the face of that sort of Business priority, it may be worthwhile to reconsider how we handle things. The leadership is suppose to watchout for the membership but when they act on their own behalf there really isn't much the membership can do, right?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

3. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

well if a modern approach is taken, the passing on of a trademark is quite similar to passing on a seal. both methods used together would send the appropriate public message that so-and-so has inherited the boss title.

4. Bruce W Sims

Good points. Maybe I am making more of this than I should, IDK. What I have seen in my own MA career is that there are a lot of people who make claims, start organizations and split-off from other organizations. What I don't see is a lot of general improvement in circumstances when this happens. (IE. "Meet the new boss; same as the old boss.")

Now, I know that the Japanese sometimes get around these things by introducing a kind of "subcategory" to a RYU tradition. Koreans can't do this because they don't use a RYU-HA system. Many times I think that the constant splitting (see: HAIDONG KUMDO) only makes things worse for these traditions.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

5. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

I think we have read enough here to have this thread moved to the Kuk Soil Won section. Clearly the OP has no idea about Hapkido as he has trained and teaches a Kuk Soil Won derivitive.

6. Bruce W Sims

Actually, I'm not altogether sure WHAT the OP trains in as there seems to be a real mix of disparate arts mushed together.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

7. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

OP says base is Kong Shin Bup, a Kuk Sool Won derivative, modified with other stuff. Certainly closer to Kuk Soil Won, certainly not Hapkido.

8. miguksaram

miguksaram Valued Member

Hello, though I am not a HKD BB, I have studied HKD under the late Mst. Randy Stigall, and have the honor of attending GM Timmerman's seminars at Mst. Stigal's dojang. I wanted to chime in to say that 'Chuk' does not translate directly to 'genuine' or 'true'. Perhaps if you could show of the hanji for the name of the school it would help.

I'm not sure what exposure to "oriental" you have, but many of them did very good documentation of who they taught, especailly when it comes to handing over a system to someone.

9. Bruce W Sims

Before anything else, I was very sorry to hear of the passing of Master Stigall. The last time I saw him was a short visit to his Saturday class, and that was some months ago. IMHO He was one of those few who was able to convert what was good in the Hapkido arts into everyday behavior. I hope his school will continue to preserve his approach for a long time to come.

As far as the matter of "documenting" a lineage, I can say only that it becomes very easy to separate the wheat from the chaff in this regard. People who have an authentic lineage have little trouble identifying who they learned from and when. It only seems to be the folks with questionable backgrounds who have to twist things around to get words and actions to line-up. For myself, I increasingly see myself moving closer to the NKMAA. Certainly, there are a number of folks who have disparaged Master Timmerman, most notably some folks from down Texas way. For myself, a person's Integrity speaks volumes and I experience that routinely with Master Timmerman. I believe that as my own grieving subsides I will be taking an increaingly more active role with the NKMAA and will encourage others to do the same. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

10. miguksaram

miguksaram Valued Member

Thank you for your kind words regarding Mst. Stigall. I will relate them to samunim. Mst. Stigall's school is still running. One of his senior students along with Mst. Stigall's wife and daughter have taken it over and are up and running with it. Many of his students, including myself, have already jumped in and offered assistance where ever possible.

GM Timmerman is an outstanding martial artist and an all around great person to sit and shoot the breeze with. He has always promoted his system and makes no qualms about his history or where he learned what. His organization has always been top notch and I am sure you will be a great asset to it.

11. pendragonus

pendragonus New Member

Chukido-kwan

Chu means "shhhh"
    Ki means "Energy"
    Do means "Way Of"
    Kwan mean "House"

The name actually means "House of Silent Energy".

I remember asking Sensei Chuck the very same question as a joke.

Chukido-kwan is a combat system that comprises of various forms. Its main form is still Hapkido. For example in white belt, you are taught 10 Hapkido techniques to break out of hand grabs, 3 sparring techniques (Kempo), 2 ground techniques (Ju-Jitsu) and the 27 movements (Karate)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  12. miguksaram

miguksaram Valued Member

Ummm...can you give me the actual hanji for Chu because for the life of me I know of no Korean word that translates to "shhhh". There is Shiko rupda (sp?) which means "Shut up!", there is 조용한 which mean silent, tranquil. But no shhhhh....

13. pendragonus

pendragonus New Member

Sorry.. the word is in fact "shut up".. Didn't want to offend you there.. haha

14. Matyseko

Matyseko New Member

Do you still train in chukidokwan

15. pendragonus

pendragonus New Member

Yes, on and off. I travel due to work and currently live in Houston, Texas. Whenever I get home to Canada, you'll find me there

16. Matyseko

Matyseko New Member

It's nice to read the way williel talks about the art he has learned and knowledge he has gained I'm sure his Grandmaster would be happy to read this

17. pendragonus

pendragonus New Member

Williel is in fact my Sensei. I didn't release it at first, I should have guessed by his username.. I'll pass on your kind words. Thank you