Silat is it effective?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by MartialKid, Oct 18, 2008.

1. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

And what type of silat are you talking about?

2. Purespite

Purespite Valued Member

I was just wondering why you'd recommend Bakti as a style in particular? Do you do Bakti at all or do you just concentrate on Melayu?

I've done some Melayu and I liked it - quite hard on the legs though (though that seems to cover silat in general) :)

3. AJMartialArtist

AJMartialArtist Valued Member

Okay I am Confusing everyone sorry about that Silat in general has locks, throws and strikes however Bakti Negera (which is a form of Pencak)is what I prefer because of how the techniques are applicated this is what I was referring to when I was talking about rawness I personally believe that all of Silat is be it Malaysian or Indonesian is effective but for me the most effective form was Bakti Negera because of the speed and the close quarter combat style

Hope this answers your question but feel free to ask if I still haven't explained my self properly. :)

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Got any clips of your style of silat which showcase it's approach and efficacy or that you just really like, AJ?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  5. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

These ones i found on youtube:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUJzLuaHB1U"]Bakti Negara - Pencak Silat - Bali - Indonesia - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI2YUrr_Jjw"]"Bakti Negara" _ Celup Kedut - YouTube[/ame]

6. Purespite

Purespite Valued Member

They're the ones I've seen.

A lot there that is familiar in other styles no?

I wanted to go and try some Bakti when I was in Ubud but apparently staying married and enjoying a romantic holiday was more important. Who knew ;)

7. AJMartialArtist

It is definitely worth a go mate its my favorite personally if you get the chance however married life is a blessing as much as it is a curse

8. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Bakti Negara is a relatively new style which is a mix of older and mostly javanese styles. probably also so Japanese influences. I recognize some stuff, although my particular style of Bukti Negara hardly works with locks.

9. AJMartialArtist

It does have locks but it mostly concentrates on strike and throws the locks are more the gate way to the throws