Any gi-wearing tips, mine keeps catching on me when I'm sweaty

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Morik, May 31, 2016.

1. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

This is a JJJ gi, btw, and a JJJ class.

Example of a problem I have:

We are 7 minutes into the class's dynamic warmup.
    Instructor wants us to raise one leg up (knee bent & pointing up) into position right before a side kick, then after holding it for a bit pivot & sidekick.

I am sweating heavily at this point (its 80+ degrees in there too), and when I go to lift my leg, my gi-bottoms start to slide along my leg but then catch around my knee where it is sweaty and I can't lift my leg more without ripping my gi (if I even could; also possible I just wouldn't be able to and would fall over).

I asked a more senior student about this and he said it happens to him too and not to worry about it much because outside of warmups it is very rare to lift our leg that high anyway (at least while standing).

I don't know how this would affect me on the ground (I have done groundwork in it and it hasn't been problematic).

This also occasionally restricts my arm mobility as well, but again only seems to during warmup (maybe we just never move in the way that catches it outside of warmups because it leaves you too vulnerable/open?)

Any tips on how to get it to slide more easily?
    (I am relatively sure it fits properly; I'm a big guy though, ~290lb. The first gi I tried at the dojo was too small (the biggest they kept in stock) and they ordered one 2 sizes bigger; it fits really well as far as I can tell, aside from catching when I'm really sweaty and doing certain types of movement.)