Using judo gi for bjj?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ShogunGall, May 9, 2016.

1. ShogunGall

ShogunGall Valued Member

Hey everyone,

So I have been doing pankration (essentially no-gi grappling) for a few months now, and am going to start to doing bjj (with gi) once per week. However, what I have realised is that the bjj gis are really expensive, especially compared to judo gis, with judo gis often only costing roughly $50 AUD (a lot cheaper than bjj gis where the cheaper ones are often $150-$200).

Is there any major difference other than looks? Could I use a judo gi for bjj, or would impair myself/others during training? Obviously I'd prefer to save the money (especially on my uni student budget) but if bjj gis are vastly different and therefore necessary I'll buy one of those.

Thanks everyone!

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I found the BJJ gi collars stayed firmer for longer. I used a Judo gi for ages, and I thought people were always so eager to partner up with me (especially for throwing practice) because I was a good uke. Nope, it was because my Judo gi had become extremely soft in the wash. "Like grabbing onto a cloud," as one person put it.... anyway, yeah. Invest in a decent BJJ gi mate.

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

It depends on the gi though, doesn't it?

The Judo gi of my judo teacher is I don't know how many years old and still feels like an armor and is a lot of things at the revers but not soft.

Not saying, he shouldn't get a BJJ gi, it's more being curious, if that really is always such an extreme difference?

To be honest and fair though: My teachers gi was probably more expensive the $50.
    Without checking the international prices.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My situation was probably more to do with drowning my gi in a full bottle of Lenor every wash...

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Judo gi should be just fine man. Some bjj gyms ask that you wear THEIR gis specifically though.

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

The Judo gi should be fine for training (unless, as Chadderz says, the club want you to wear one of theirs). However, if you want to compete, you will need to buy a BJJ gi, as the cut is slightly different to a Judo gi.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Judo gi are perfect for new bjj starters.

The one MAJOR issue however, is a lot of people will assume your a judo blackbelt, make sure people you train with know this ain't true.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i think it's fine to start with a judo gi--i did. but eventually you'll want to upgrade. bjj gi's fit more snugly and have better lapels and taped inseams.

i've owned about 6-7 bjj gi's since i started about 5 years ago. i just recently discovered fuji gi's. if you're on a budget, a fuji gi is very, very solid for bjj, and very reasonable.