Dan grading next saturday

Discussion in 'Karate' started by xookeeper, Aug 21, 2015.

1. xookeeper

xookeeper New Member

OK, so I`m new. I have 3 teenage girls who`s been training Shotokan Karate for 5,5 years. They have been 1.st kuy for over a year and unexpectedly their Dojo is closing down and they been offered to grad in a different club, but still within JKA. Two are very excited and scared but look foward to do it, while the older one has decided she doesn`t really want a black belt. So my question is, :
    Should I try to convince her she should just go for it or should I let it go and leave it up to her without any influence from us parents? Shes 16

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Tough spot to be in - good luck.

My gut instinct is that if she is 16 and ready for black belt, she probably has the maturity and background to make the choice whether to do it or not... I think the best bet would be to talk it out with her, let her know your thoughts and then listen to her, and let her make the call.

That said, it always seems that gradings come along only once in a while and anytime that you are 'ready' and offered the chance under a reputable school, you should take the opportunity. If I were her, I'd do the grading.

3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

At 16 you need to let her make her own mind , though it would be good to find the reason she doesn't want to

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

If she doesn't want to grade then maybe she isn't interested in Karate anymore? In which case, she isn't going to carry on with it afterwards even if you do convince her to test: rendering the rank meaningless anyway. I'd save yourself some money by respecting your daugther's autonomy and just let her drop it. She can always take up martial arts again herself if she feels the need.

Out of interest, why do you want her to grade? Do you know why does she not want to?

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

She has to make her own decision. But let her know that quitting something so close to a major goal is something people often regret. I know students who quit close to their black sash, and later several said it really bugs them they didn't follow through.

6. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I agree with Aaradia,

Its her choice but leaving so close to her dan grade might be something she regrets in the future. Advise her to stay on and complete the grading if not only as a personal achievement.

If she doesn't want to, understand it might not be her thing any more and she can pick it up again later in life if she so chooses.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

She's 16. It's a statistical anomaly that she made it this far.

8. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

good luck, Im quite new to karate but I remember when my Bujinkan dojo closed when I was at second kyu. It was an indefinitely thing and i was gutted for not getting to my 1st dan. Thankfully my sensei reopened for about 9 months and I managd to scrape onto a Dan grade on the last week before his health deteriorated again and closed in december just gone.

I got into karate recently, and while its nice to feel like a rookie again, I had the experience of not making it to black belt first time round to know I was dissapointed that I didnt get to that level.

She might as well go for it, but thats just me

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  9. xookeeper

xookeeper New Member

Hi
    To be honest I really dont mind either way. I just don`t want her to have regrets later. She only has this chance as the dojo is closing down in a week. She can always grade later with a different club, however not within JKA. Just want her to make a choice she wont regret

10. xookeeper

xookeeper New Member

Thanks for your input. She has now decided to just do it and then find a shotokan club to practice in once a week just to keep it in "the pocket"

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

That's good news! Let us know how she gets on at the grading!

12. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

glad she's decided to do it. Good luck to her

13. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Good luck to her. It might be worth reminding her that if she gets it then it might be one significant statement that gets her CV remembered and picked out over loads of 'ordinary' girls who have grown up doing ballet and modern dance when she applies to things like jobs and universities.

14. xookeeper

xookeeper New Member

Well, after a lot of nerves all my 3 girls passed their grading and can now "flag" their 1st Dan. One very proud muma and 3 very excited girls

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

That is great! Congrats to them!:happy:

16. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Good for them for sticking it out! And for you for encouraging them!

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations to them! :)

18. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

congrats to them!

19. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Well done them, don't forget to have them include the fact on their CV's!! :-D