What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Rhythmkiller,

Do you mean Eli's backstory about how she a vampire and everything else (trying not to write spoilers there) was disappointing?

Why did you find it disappointing? Just curious to know.

Hope that's clear, I'm writing on a phone :)

2. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

My reading list is about 15 books long now. :O

3. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Re-reading Patrick McCarthy's bubishi on my Kindle and reading Simon Scarrow's Eagle Conquest. Only book in the Eagle series that I have missed.

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

290 less than mine then! Really....goodreads says so.

I hope I live long enough to get through it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  5. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Hey Bozza,

Hard to say without spoilers. I liked the idea of a young girl protecting the boy from life in general. She was powerful. Of course she's not a girl and it kinda dissapointed me. Given that for 70% of the book you look at her asa really powerful being in the guise of.a young lady. At points In the narrative the author gets confused as well. Maybe lost in translation.

Sorry writing on a phone too.

Baza

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

The Rebel- Albert Camus

7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

"Here is Your War"- Ernie Pyle

8. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Currently reading "Shotokan for the Street" by Andi Kidd

[​IMG]

It's pretty much written as guide to understanding and embracing the more practical side of Karate, for those that currently either train for the more sport oriented environment, or for those that feel that their current training, isn't quite offering the Self protection aspects they were promised - Less than a 1/3 of the way thru it, but like what I have read so far, though to some, it may read like it is telling you how to suck eggs.

Regards,

Travess

9. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

"Poker's 1%: The One Big Secret That Keeps Elite Players On Top" by Ed Miller

This books lays out a frequency-based nlhe cash game strategy that has you following two golden rules:

1. If your opponent bets or raises, you should usually call.
    2. If you bet one street and your opponent calls, you should usually bet again on the next card.

After the flop one should be following this strategy with 70% of one's hands. Then 70% of those hands on the turn. And then 70% of the hands one would bet on the turn, one bets on the river. It does not matter what the opponent has. This approach tries to have one playing as close to mathematically perfect as is possible. All Ed Miller books will increase one's win rate but this book is will take one's game to another level.

10. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Finally finished Half a King by Joe Abercrombie, I have had this book since it came out but for some reason every time I started something happened where I misplace or leave the book somewhere and had to start over. This time I finally finished it, thought it was enjoyable but not as good as Abercrombie's previous works. I found it too simplified and don't understand why he's now aiming for the teen demographic. More money?

11. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Slugging through the entire of Journey to the West. Enjoyable read so far.

Im probably going to finish of the Maximum Ride series when Im done with this

12. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

The Dhammapada, translated by Gil Fronsdal.

I have read a couple translations but this one I actually like

and

The Phoenix tastes a lot like Chicken by Rick Matz (of Cook Dings Kitchen)
    Interesting read as well

13. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell. I'm about 3/4 th of the way through, and it is really good so far. It deals with a couple groups of warring psychics/immortals, but has massive stretches of story where nothing directly related to that plotline happens (ok, it is backstory for some of the related characters, or their acquaintances). That should be annoying and boring, but somehow those parts of the book are really great.

14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

One of our Judo-Kids borrowed me the first book of the "Percy Jackson" series.
    Even though I usually don't like books written in first person, I enjoy the book so far.
    Definitely comes with me into the hospital; should keep me from dying of boredom :D

Also reading "Star Wars: Red Harvest".
    Star Wars meets zombies.
    Not a book to write history, but an okay read anyway.

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

The wife's grandmother gave me a copy of the Qu'ran, I've already read it, but i'd hate to hurt the lady's feelings, granted, missus is rolling her eyes and reading god is not great for the umpteenth time.

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yesterday I read "The Demigod Diaries" and today I started book #9 of the Greek/Roman series. They're found in the children's section of a library, sure, but these books ARE GREAT!!!! :) :) :) :) A few posts up I copied some of the opening paragraphs that give me goosebumps every time I read them, they're so good!

17. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'm reading The English Master of Defence by Zachary Wylde, a very interesting 18th century fencing manual and certainly one of the easiest to understand.
    I'm also reading The Hairy Dieters because I need to lower my cholesterol :(

18. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I recently finished re-reading Quest for Lost Heroes by David Gemell. When I was younger I found it quite downbeat but now I find it quite affecting. I really do think it's a shame that he never wrote the story that is set up by the ending though, only briefly mentioning it in passing in Winter Warriors.
    Now re-reading King Beyond the Gate which is one of my favourite Gemell novels.

19. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

The Tao of Pooh...again...I needed it

20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

^^ Great book. I read it twice. :)